Recommend a city

Check out Mendoza. It's beautiful, great wine, good quality of life and lower cost of living than BA. Small enough to have a good quality of life, large enough to have everything.

Malvinas said:
Yes, I meant in Argentina but thanks for the suggestions.

Cordoba - sounds pretty interesting actually, but I was hoping for a city further down south. Is Bariloche nothing but tourists? What's in Ushuaia? What about Neunqen?

Cordoba is a +1 million inhab with great universities and quality of life, much like my home city (Rosario), but if you are looking down south, and since you mention it... Bariloche is not at all a bad option.
Since you are looking for math and science, there is the Instituto Balseiro, where the best argentine Nuclear Physicist come from. It's an elite place to study different carreers and masters.
http://www.ib.edu.ar/
Also, Bariloche is sorrounded with the most beautiful mountains, lakes and woods in our country.

billsfan said:
Cordoba is a +1 million inhab with great universities and quality of life, much like my home city (Rosario), but if you are looking down south, and since you mention it... Bariloche is not at all a bad option.
Since you are looking for math and science, there is the Instituto Balseiro, where the best argentine Nuclear Physicist come from. It's an elite place to study different carreers and masters.
http://www.ib.edu.ar/
Also, Bariloche is sorrounded with the most beautiful mountains, lakes and woods in our country.

Very nice.

I had the impression that Rosario was a big, ugly industrial city. Is that wrong?

War in the South Atlantic? Forget it! In the present state, our armed forces can not fight the Vatican Swiss Guard.
If the Uruguayans would invade us, they could take the whole country!

Malvinas said:
Very nice.

I had the impression that Rosario was a big, ugly industrial city. Is that wrong?

Your impressions are based on? I'm not sure what...

"Auckland is a working class town" -- obviously you've never even read any thing about it. It hits top 5 for places to live in the world constantly, has a huge sailing community, quite elite, gorgeous city, very good quality of life.

I think you need to do more research, if you're such an intellectual you will enjoy it! Also get yourself to Rosario or Cordoba, really it's not that hard, they're only 3 and 8 hrs away respectively.

Malvinas said:
Very nice.

If you don't like big, industrial, port cities, then BA is the greatest evil in Argentina. BA is Rosario *5.

Regarding "ugliness", I cannot comment on that, as is very subjective. But again, consider it a small Buenos Aires.
The working class neighborhoods are just that... and yes, sometimes poor. But the costal areas are nice, very culture-influenced (theaters, museums, parks, etc) and the night life is great ;)

Hey Malvinas, I've got to agree with syngirl whole heartedly. If you're looking for cities to live in, you have to do some research beyond mere speculation.
I've lived in Auckland - it's nothing like Liverpool (which I lived in and enjoyed) It's not a small working class city - It's huge and quite sophisticated with a very high standard of living. You say they'd hate you? Well, that I can't speculate, but certainly not because they'd find your intellect superior!
Rosario - A big dirty industrial city? Rosario is wonderful, on the river with wonderful restaurants and cafes. And very welcoming locals too.
Have to agree with others that Bariloche, Rosario, Cordoba and Mendoza are all beautiful cities, with educated people, attractive surroundings and interesting places to visit.
So are you any closer to a decision?

The "problem" with Rosario is that it's not on any touristic agenda. The city really did not care for tourism almost its entire history. Only recently we have seen an increase in strategic plans to create different attractions.

Cordoba, Mendoza and of course Buenos Aires have always invested in promoting, basically creating the image of a destination to visit.

Back