Recording Services

Jt99

Registered
HI! I'm interested in making a recording for a friend as a birthday gift. The recording studio that I checked with was asking for US$25 per hour or $100 pesos. I'm thinking this is a bit too high. (I wanted to make a personalized audio book and will need about 5-6 hrs of work).

Is there someone who can recommend another recording studio or other options? I am not tech savvy at all and reluctant to try recording on my own....

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
JT

If I wasn't travelling light I could have done this for free with the gear I have back in Aus - all you really need is a quiet room and a half decent condensor mic!

If you have a quiet area you're able to record in (i.e. no aircon , traffic, fridge, chirping birds etc) then you could manage this on your own computer. For just an Audio book you might even be able to get away with the Skype-style headphone/mic combo, tho something like this would be ideal.

There's a free program called Reaper you could use to record to, it has some default settings that would "Clean up" the sound. feel free to ask for pointers on this stuff, I used to do a lot of audio engineering and kinda miss it ;)

otherwise, $25US an hour isn't all that much to be honest, if you look at the costs of pro-audio gear then it's VERY reasonable! I could tell you some horror stories of what my old band would fork out for demos...

hope this helps, good luck

Back