Redistribution of Wealth At Gunpoint Is Tyranny

demokritos said:
Without public roads, corporate regulation, public education, etc., my concern is that society devolves into feudalism, or corporate feudalism. Bradleyhale gave a nice example with the PG&E case - what happens in that situation without some larger (e.g. governmental) entity, answerable to the public? How are monopolies prevented?

The US has done extremely well for itself under its current system. One of its biggest problems is the close ties between the regulatory agencies (SEC, etc.) and management in the same industries it is supposed to be regulating. Large corporations and their CEOs are heavily involved in the electoral process. It's difficult to fix, but in spite of this, we're still chugging along, and major disasters attributable to regulatory dysfunction only happen about once a year. Pretty good considering the number of moving parts in play.

Argentina is another story. There isn't an Argentine alive that remembers a government whose leaders were dedicated to anything other than the cynical extraction of resources from the public for their personal gain. The problem isn't just that the votes are bought by bread and circus programs; there actually isn't any reasonable expectation of a functional government here.

ElQueso, having read some of your other posts, it's clear you have your heart in the right place, and that your experiences in Paraguay and here are driving a lot of your thinking in this matter. In fact, you're advocating benevolent feudalism as a specific solution in cases of extreme poverty. What recourse is there when the local lord turns out to be not so benevolent after all?

Feudalism does not recognize individual rights...and (though you failed to use the term)...serfs are actually individuals.

There are no rights without property rights...aka the right to the fruits of your own labor...including the right to exchange the fruits of your labor for property (of any kind).

All rights are individual rights and they apply to actions, not things.

Even the right to own property applies to actions, meaning the control of it's use and disposal (by the sale or exchange for other goods or services, including anything that is accepted as "money").

In the early 1970's I had a great discussion with James V. Koch, the chairman of the economics department at ISU. I argued that individual rights should be sufficient grounds to sue even the biggest corporation for harm to the individual for damages from pollution. He strongly disagreed.

Thanks to Julia Roberts and Albert Finney (et. al.) millions of movie goers now know better.

Now I'm just waiting for cbphoto to tell me to shut my tea party trap...again.

When I was first working I lived in Miami, which had well over a million people It was a long way from Coconut Grove to my mother's house in North Miami but roads were all nicely paved (no dirt!). Everything worked just fine. We paid almost no taxes of any kind--real estate or payroll, the schools were funded by the counties, no fed gov or funds involved.The amount taken out of my check was a pittance.

I can't see that things are that much better now, in fact they're worse and the taxes are humongous. Plus a man could buy a house then (never more than a 20 year mortgage, sometimes 15), buy a car, and almost all women stayed home with the children. The county hospitals mentioned earlier were working just fine, we could afford to pay our own medical bills. People were not under a lot of stress. But the more bureaucracy you have the higher your taxes. After all, those bureaucrats don't work for free! ;)

Iznogud said:
People say "Suficiente!" in spanish when they had enough and want to put a stop to it.
You should use bastante pretty much as you would say plenty.

"Basta" works as well. But yeah, Bastante doesn't quite fit the bill.

The term Progressive once became so offensive that those who used the term started calling themselves liberals.

Liberal was a term originally which referred to those who opposed the rule of monarchs.

Now the liberals are calling themselves progressives again.

I have identified myself as a libertarian for 30 years because the term conservative was usually equated with the Republican party.

But as a Libertarian (who believes in the powers of government as defined and limited by the Constitution of the United States) I don't really care about labels.

I care about principles which support each and every individual's right to take whatever actions they believe (without harming others) will result in their happiness and the happiness of those they love...if the latter is something they value.

You know this is intereting. It's a matter of what we choose to look at. As I read about the mother and baby who died, I think of over 300,000 people in America who die every year at the hands of doctors through medical mistakes and prescription drugs they should not have been given, paid for by their medicare, medicaid or prescription insurance. I guess there's no way to get away from it, is there? No matter which side of the fence you're on.

My husband died at age 42 with cancer. He had been on medication for blood pressure from age 25. I knew the drug was taken off the market years ago so as I keep reading about the effects of drugs on our health I decided to find out why they took it off the market Guess what. It causes cancer.

I now know it is possible to normalize high blood pressure within 3 weeks, by changing diet and lifestyle. But no one told him how to get well, they just prescribed a drug. He would have changed in order to be well. But in our modern culture getting you well is not a consideration.

Life happens in both situations I guess.

Arlean, I'm so sorry what happened to your husband.

25 years ago I was seriously overweight (about 135 lbs) with the usual complications.

Today I weigh less than 190 lbs and enjoy excellent health.

I didn't take any drugs.

I simply changed my diet...after reading Harvey Diamond's book "Fit For Life."

And followed all of his suggestions.

Fortunately, I didn't wait for a government lead by a "first lady" to care about what I put in my mouth more than she does.

A few have made comments about Libertarian ideas being akin to anarchy, wherein obviously it's impossible to get along without any kind of government. Examples of poor places in the world have been proffered to show how bad the plight of those people are because of the lack of government.

Of course, given what the powers that be tell us, it appears that this must be the case. Government, they tell us, is absolutely required to keep everyone in line. That right there should tell you something about government.

Unfortunately, the examples offered, in my opinion, are flawed. The governments in those places are not absent for the most part - they are completely corrupt and do everything they can to keep their people poor and ignorant. Where they are absent, yes, there is anarchy - no one to enforce the rule of law, property rights, and the right of people, as Steve says, to "act" in any meaningful way. They let the people alone until the encroach into those in power's fiefdoms. As I mentioned, look at Paraguay - certainly there is quite a bit of government there, so much so that the people can't even keep the president they elected.

Why? Because they are total powers over the people, not the opposite. They control everything in the country, including opportunities for people to advance, unless you are one of the fortunate to be in the class of people with money and influence. The only way anyone can take anything from those who "have" is at gunpoint as well, and it is difficult, not to mention dangerous, to do so and most people are not going to risk it, nor do they have sufficient resources, either knowledge or wealth, to organize and do anything. Thus, they suffer.

What would have happened if the US had not become so federally strong? The founders of the US specifically kept powerful states because they WANTED variety. They wanted a bunch of different experiments going on at the same time, competition among aligned, cooperating governments that shared a same basic legal framework. (Almost sounds like the EU experiment at its base...)

So what does that mean, that the individual states couldn't get together and defend themselves without a standing army, nor cooperate amongst themselves to defend against the country as a whole? They did a pretty good job of that against England in the latter part of the 18th century, actually.

The founders wrote about often the danger of a federal standing army. They were worried about both foreign "adventuring" and the use of force against US citizens equally. Strong state militias were encouraged.

Freedom, no matter what form it takes, requires individual knowledge to win and to keep.

I'm not suggesting that any country should try to embrace even moderate elements of Libertarianism without the very people who are to rule themselves understanding what they are doing. The government must take care of people that are ignorant and helpless - the idea is to change people from ignorant and helpless to knowledgeable and confident in their own abilities.

I don't buy that people are inherently ignorant and helpless. I believe that they are a product, for the most part, of their environment.

I don't buy that anarchy would break out if government were smaller and restricted from butting into things like regulation and even some of the criminal laws and the way to deal with them that are often mandated from a federal level. So many of the regulations put into place come about specifically after government intervention that allowed things to go wrong to begin with.

Let's go back to the concept of more powerful states and a less powerful federal government.

What happens if someone doesn't like how a state manages things? They move. A lot of that happens now. I think California is for the most part a beautiful state, but I would never live there by simple choice. I think people there have caught a mania, that in recent decades even drives the rest of the country as the concepts are spread by the federal government to other states in the form of federal mandates and laws which must be obeyed or lose federal funding at the least.

One thing I do like that California tried to do is legalize gay marriages and decriminalize marijuana. One was defeated by local referendum (not a great decision, I thought, but at least it was determined locally and not federally), but the other was quashed by the federal government.

In the meantime, how much money is spent on the "War on Drugs" and to what purpose? Has it made a bit of difference on the country? Yes, but not to the positive. It creates a huge black market because those who will partake, will partake no matter what the federal government says. Hell, Argentina with currency controls should show that to people living here and dealing with that stupidity. But drugs as a black market item are more dangerous because it brings in a bigger criminal element for a smaller group of people, and those criminals are dangerous. Hell, alcohol prohibition should have taught us a lesson.

In the meantime, marijuana itself is less harmful on the whole than alcohol.

Cocaine? Heroin? I have a hard time with those. As I said, I don't have the answers.

But why do you think that a lord, either private or corporate, would set up power in a particular state, as an example? Who would let them? That's why laws exist! I NEVER said there should be no government, just that it should be as small as possible. All of the states should have a basic framework they must adhere to (the federal constitution) and their individual state constitutions cannot contradict something the federal constitution contains.

Free market DOES take care of monopolies. I still challenge anyone to show me a monopoly that was not set up or supported by the government that maintained any kind of success? I can certainly come up with a list of monopolies that were created either by direct or indirect support of the government.

What I mention related to states adhering to the US constitution but having their own set of local laws is actually pretty much how things are supposed to work now. But the federal government has grabbed an enormous amount of power in its ability to tax, borrow and raise and keep a standing army. Right now, the distribution of federal money is the biggest hold that exists on the States, if one puts aside the fact that if any states try to secede, the federal government will send troops to stop it from doing so.

The federal government is the "lord" you all fear.

The US constitution is a list of things that are supposed to provide a framework. Things that are not specifically mentioned are not to be considered errors of omission that need eventually to be legislated, but rather rights left to the people.

A good example of government force, in my opinion, is the federal government now telling the US population that it must buy health insurance or suffer the wrath of the powers that be. Who do you think profits from that? Do you all REALLY believe that the health care plan that passed a while ago and just now allowed to be implemented fully by the jokers on the US Supreme Court is going to make things cheaper and give better access to everyone and that there will be no corruption and no one is going to profit overly much, that only the good of the people are served?

I know the answer to that from many, because of course a lot do. Nearly blind faith in government (at least government run by YOUR side), that if they tell us so, it must be. But that may be one of the things that ends up causing the US government to actually default on its loans under the cost and burden of such a monstrosity. If the US doesn't default but prints more money to cover the debts, the only thing that will do is completely ruin the US Dollar and cause other countries to lose what little shred of trust in the dollar that currently exists in the world.

I mean damn, we are financing all of these programs by loans! Our debtors won't continue to support our insanity much longer.

Even if you really thought that the health care bill would be a good idea - what about the way in which it was passed and then the excuse used by the federal government to the Supreme Court to approve it? Do the ends justify the means? Does everyone out there really think that only the hardcore "right" opposed the bill and that was why there was such a problem? Even if it WAS only the hardcore right, what RIGHT did the Left have to push such a thing on people who didn't agree with it?

After 8 years of GWB, doing things like invading Iraq on the slimmest of excuses and bringing a war that brought a ton of debt, the PATRIOT Act and other blindly obvious ways to take more freedom from the people of the US, after all the bitching and moaning that Democrats and middle of the road folk did about the way Bush handled his presidency, they elected Obama, who swore he wasn't like others in government. His presidency, by damn, would be open and transparent and would unite the country.

BS.

Look at the way they ended up passing the health care bill. They cheated. They used a technicality to get the bill passed. They used cronyism and pressure politics and then used a technicality to avoid another vote which may have lost them the bill, because a staunch supporter of theirs in Congress died at the wrong time and a Republican got his old seat.

And then, after States sued the government's ability to force US citizens and corporations to buy something whether they wanted to or not, they changed their tune and called it a tax, and the illustrious members of the Supreme Court said "oh, snap! OK!"

Is that REALLY the kind of government you want? If you answer "no", you must realize that it wasn't always that way. The size of the government grows and grows and it becomes more and more powerful.

I'd be tickled s**tless if the US did nothing more than got rid of the Fed, reduced the government by half and restructured the tax system. Reexamine federal programs with an honest eye to what works and what doesn't, including health care. If you want to implement something for poor and indigent people to ensure they get equal health care, OK, let's talk about it. I don't like it, I think like any other program it will fail and not provide what is intended, but rather will cause unintended consequences, but I'm not a dictator to say everyone should think like me.

But I'd rather by far it were decided on a State-by-State basis so I have the freedom to move to a State where health care is not forced.

I happen to love the fact that Texas doesn't have a state income tax, for example, and if I ever move back to Texas and they implement a state income tax, well, I'll move to Florida or another state that does not have a state income tax.

Of course, huge changes will most likely never happen until something like a default on US loans happens, or something even more severe. Too many people think that money is just created out of thin air and that that's OK, and that the government, for the most part, knows what it's doing.

If the US were to default on its loans, it would make Argentina's problems in 2002 look tiny by comparison. If it were to devalue its currency enough to pay off those loans (since those loans are made in US dollars as well), industry and commerce in the US will look like Argentina. And so on.

Can't keep writing a free ticket when you don't have the money. Can't borrow to pay back outstanding loans and keep going. So many things that we just can't do, but the federal government is trying to do so anyway.

ElQueso said:
A few have made comments about Libertarian ideas being akin to anarchy, wherein obviously it's impossible to get along without any kind of government.

Thanks. I've been a self proclaimed Libertarian for over 30 years.

I do not advocate anarchy. I support the Constitution of the USA, even though the current president does not...and hasn't since the moment he took the oath to do so (his first lie as president...as I posted here then).

The Constitution of the United States is a limitation on the powers of the federal government.

The current president obviously resents it and will act to the contrary.

He does not care abut the rule of law as we know it.

He is happy to create law by his own dictate (aka executive order).

Steve, I am in complete agreement with you related to the Constitution.

I don't think too many people understand the real importance of the Constitution and what the founders had in mind when they wrote it, and all of the states accepted and agreed to abide by it.

I can't remember the name of principle without doing some research (can't be bothered at the moment), but the constitution is not a limitation of freedoms to the people, nor a list of the freedoms they can enjoy (except freedom itself), but fully intended as a limitation to GOVERNMENT. Any power not specifically mentioned in the Constitution is a power that the government does not have.

The biggest argument against including a Bill Of Rights in the constitution originally was that by placing these rights in the Constitution, you were actually narrowing the rights available by mentioning specifics at all, in a document that contains limits to government, not a list of rights to citizens. The problem ALWAYS with discrimination was NOT the lack of legislation to protect people, but the LACK of enforcement of the Constitution.

Steve is spot on with the meaning of the word "liberal" as applied to current-day political meaning. Liberals wanted to increase individual rights, not define them, but take away the overlord that f**ked up their lives constantly. They wanted to allow people to take personal responsibility for their lives, not be taken care of "in their own interests" by the lord.

Americans have become weak in this sense. It allows more and more people to be weak in the same way. It is falling into the trap of allowing the overlord take care of you.

Oh yeah, and true liberal thinkers had to change their "label" to libertarian, to distinguish from the current self-proclaimed liberals ;) That's one of the reasons I actually chuckled when I saw a comment earlier in the thread about Libertarians being extreme right-wing. If that's the case, is there a cycle wherein the oppressive ideas of old have come back, under a different label and are now called "Liberal" (tongue in cheek)?

BTW - sorry for the label, but the human penchant for placing labels at times can not only be tempting at the wrong time, but also useful at moments when making purposeful generalizations and wanting them to be taken as such :)

We may not have the collectivists on the run here yet, El Queso, but they are beginning to look over their collective shoulders (which of course are weak).

So much for "he ain't heavy, he's my brother" crap.

They drop their brothers in a heartbeat.

I know from experience.

Back