Reduced flight schedules and current entry / exit requirements

9 July 2021 at 4:27pm by Jose Maria Costa
Borders: the Gov't relaxes the quota beginning tomorrow until reaching a thousand daily passenger entries. The gradual opening will take effect beginning this Saturday and will be until next August 6. In the case of ferries from Uruguay, they may enter up to two per week and with 50% capacity....
....This was reported by sources from the Ministry of the Interior and Migrations who released the following weekly schedule that will govern from tomorrow:
- 5200 places for the week from 7/10/2021 to 7/16/2021
- 6300 places for the week of 7/17/2021 to 7/23/2021
- 7000 places for the week from 7/24/2021 to 7/30/2021
- 7000 places for the week from 7/31/2021 to 8/6/2021

In the case of passengers arriving in the country via ferries, the Gov't set a weekly quota of up to two ships, with a capacity of up to 50%. Meanwhile, international group trips, of graduates, retired persons, for studies, for non-official sports competitions, continue to be suspended; of tourist groups and recreational and social activities, in a generic way....

Read rest of article for additional information.

It seems there is some good news.

The problem is that they are not very good at math (unless it is related to calculating coimas it seems). 2000 leaving per week and 1000 returning is still 1000 stranded per week. Down from 1400 ... but still 1000 per week creating a bottleneck.

It was 2000 prior to the reduction. Since the massive reduction Airlines have stopped moving as many planes to Argentina. Which means there are fewer planes to take people out. If your flight from Miami never left Miami, then you can't take that plane to get to Miami.

Aerolineas Argentinas didn't really do daily service either (Those planes live in Argentina). If I were to guess since the reduction started somewhat more than 600 have been leaving but not 2000.

The real issue is the 1400 stranded over 14 days.

There's gotta be some pressure on Airfreight. About 1/2 of the cargo space on Airplanes is dedicated to Airfreight. That's how stuff like vaccines move around the world. No planes means not a lot of cargo for high value supplies.

It just confuses me that Argentina is shutting air inbound down without doing anything substantial to trucks traveling between Brazil and Argentina. Those drivers need to stop to eat, sleep, and rest on their travels. Potentially exposing locals. And people in las provincias are not super vigilant when it comes to masks.

In better news my flight next week hasn't been cancelled ... yet... I wonder if I'll know before day of :*(

It was 2000 prior to the reduction. Since the massive reduction Airlines have stopped moving as many planes to Argentina. Which means there are fewer planes to take people out. If your flight from Miami never left Miami, then you can't take that plane to get to Miami.

Aerolineas Argentinas didn't really do daily service either (Those planes live in Argentina). If I were to guess since the reduction started somewhat more than 600 have been leaving but not 2000.

There's gotta be some pressure on Airfreight. About 1/2 of the cargo space on Airplanes is dedicated to Airfreight. That's how stuff like vaccines move around the world. No planes means not a lot of cargo for high value supplies.

It just confuses me that Argentina is shutting air inbound down without doing anything substantial to trucks traveling between Brazil and Argentina. Those drivers need to stop to eat, sleep, and rest on their travels. Potentially exposing locals. And people in las provincias are not super vigilant when it comes to masks.

In better news my flight next week hasn't been cancelled ... yet... I wonder if I'll know before day of :*(

So what happens after August 6?

Yeah ... that's unfortunately not correct. The 1400 are passengers stranded per day (estimated by the airlines/IATA). Several airlines fly empty to Buenos Aires and full to the US. Empty meaning no passengers - they do carry cargo on those flights.

For example United flies from Buenos Aires to Houston with passengers on these dates:

• 30 EZE IAH
  • 2 jul EZE IAH
  • 4 EZE IAH
  • 7 EZE IAH
  • 9 EZE IAH
  • 11 EZE IAH
But from Houston to Buenos Aires only on the following dates:
  • 29 junio IAH EZE
  • 6 IAH EZE
So 6 planes with passengers going to the Houston but only 2 planes with passengers going to Buenos Aires. This creates a huge bottle neck - even with the new limits.

Edit:
  1. Source for approved flights is the Sir Chandler blog and Aviacionline (and on both blogs are several other airlines listed that are flying empty to Buenos Aires and with passengers to the USA)
  2. Source for the 1400 passengers per day are various news outlets including TN: https://tn.com.ar/economia/2021/06/...ganizar-el-nuevo-cupo-de-pasajeros-en-ezeiza/ and La Nación: https://www.lanacion.com.ar/politic...a-varadas-1400-personas-cada-dia-nid28062021/

Last edited:
July 12th is the expected date when the government/ANAC will tell the airlines which flights are approved for the rest of July and which ones aren't. Until then the airlines will not cancel anything.

This is all so unnecessry. A PCR test is required before leaving foreign countries, a PCR test at Ezeiza, a week of quarantine and then a third PCR. In addition many people coming from abroad, probably most, have been vaccinated.
it really is absurd. but argentina has clung to this for so long now they almost can't change it for fear of looking dumb.

Back