Refried Beans in cans?

Ahhh, the strange thing you do living abroad. This is how I solved my bean problem....

I totally sympathize with midnight Mexican cravings. Because imported cans are over three dollars and because beans get gross and slimey in the fridge quickly, I have taken to buying the bagged beans and cooking up a batch of beans -a slow 2 day soak - and then either mashing them like potatoes to make refried beans in the wok or putting them whole into the freezer. In fact, I get them home from the supermercados, they go right from the into my slow cooker for two days and then to the freezer.

I never imagined I would use my freezer to store beans, but a girls gotta have her Mexican, and I can't be expected to plan a craving one or two days in advance to be ready. It has made me happy to have them on hand like that, and I find myself finding more excuses to add some bean yum to more dishes. This also prevents the nasty problem of the slightly hard beans from last minute boiling! ick!

Only one problem: my man has been asking for some Gas X! Anyone know if that is locally available!? : )

davonz said:
I was surprised when i couldnt find the canned ones here either.. Very unusual for a latin country !!

theglow said:
You're right...it's very strange to have such a shortage of beans in a latin country.

NO, he is not, Argentines do not eat beans as do Mexican or Brazilians for example, so is not unusual not having more varieties of beans commercialized here, sure they will do combine some foods with them but never was, is or will be a main dish on an Argentine table....so far, touch wood.

They may be Latins but not necessarily need to be bean eaters to apply, another presumed 'cliché' and misinformation from the Hollywood mob.

Lucas said:
NO, he is not, Argentines do not eat beans as do Mexican or Brazilians for example, so is not unusual not having more varieties of beans commercialized here, sure they will do combine some foods with them but never was, is or will be a main dish on an Argentine table....so far, touch wood.

They may be Latins but not necessarily need to be bean eaters to apply, another presumed 'cliché' and misinformation from the Hollywood mob.

Do people scour these threads just looking for a chance to be offended or to say they are right? Isn´t the point to provide useful information?

In Palermo, there is a place on Paraguay and Juan B. Justo called Maldonado that has lots of different types of food, including refried beans and taco seasonings It´s a bit hidden in a big gravel parking lot next to a fruit vendor.
It´s on Paraguay, after the railroad tracks and before the bridge. Good luck!

emilyr said:
but a girls gotta have her Mexican, and I can't be expected to plan a craving one or two days in advance to be ready. It has made me happy to have them on hand like that

This sounds like an advertisement for a Mexican Gigolo service.

emilyr said:
Ahhh, the strange thing you do living abroad. This is how I solved my bean problem....

I totally sympathize with midnight Mexican cravings. Because imported cans are over three dollars and because beans get gross and slimey in the fridge quickly, I have taken to buying the bagged beans and cooking up a batch of beans -a slow 2 day soak - and then either mashing them like potatoes to make refried beans in the wok or putting them whole into the freezer. In fact, I get them home from the supermercados, they go right from the into my slow cooker for two days and then to the freezer.

I never imagined I would use my freezer to store beans, but a girls gotta have her Mexican, and I can't be expected to plan a craving one or two days in advance to be ready. It has made me happy to have them on hand like that, and I find myself finding more excuses to add some bean yum to more dishes. This also prevents the nasty problem of the slightly hard beans from last minute boiling! ick!

Only one problem: my man has been asking for some Gas X! Anyone know if that is locally available!? : )

You don't need to soak them for two days. 24hrs is more than enough. But they do have to be cooked for a bit longer. You didn't mention how long you were cooking them for before the went in the freezer. If you have a pressure cooker this will cut down the cooking time.

I never thought about freezing the beans after cooking. They freeze great it sounds like? What do you freeze them in (tupperwear, bags, jars, etc.)? Great suggestion, thanks!

As to the canned beans, I think that there was just a dry spell between some import transition between Casa Fiesta and Las Costeña. There are LC beans aplenty now (including whole black beans, but no more chipotle peppers that I have seen lately), but Casa Fiesta seems to be in the dog house (I don't think they're being imported here anymore, shame since they were the ones with the lower fat vegetarian refried beans).

In the past few weeks I have been buying Rosarita refried beans (16oz cans) at Walmart in Bahia Blanca for 6 pesos each, which seems quite reasonable for an import. The black bean version sold out quickly but they still have a good supply of no fat/traditional and vegetarian.

Unfortunately, I am not sure if the Walmart in CF has them.

rofl, :D Napoleon! The job market is rough here, and I needed a creative business plan to fund my lifestyle. Like I said already...
emilyr said:
Ahhh, the strange thing you do living abroad.

mini, I know but I reallllly like very soft beans, and I change the water a couple times a couple times a day. MizzMarr, I store them in...you know those trays you get take out food in that are everywhere? I wash some of those out and dry them really to always have a couple on hand. I also got a couple of those that come with lids. They make nice stackable bean trays once they freeze. Its better to freeze them side by side, making sure the top is not spilling over and then stack ´em once they are frozen (so they don´t get stuck together). I like the solution for my tiny apartment kitchen because the trays stack and take up little space. I save the few Tupperware I have for actual food transport.

I used to be super anal about putting everything in Ziplock or Tupperware until I saw how peope here just put an open bowl in the fridge, leave eggs out, I realized as long as you don't have bugs and keep a clean kitchen and eat things quickly so it doesn't go bad or get freezer burn, not everything has to be covered!

emilyr said:
mini, I know but I reallllly like very soft beans, and I change the water a couple times a couple times a day.
Two days, I'm surprised you're not germinating the beans! LOL.

I think I'll make beans tomorrow. Yum.

steveinbsas said:
In the past few weeks I have been buying Rosarita refried beans (16oz cans) at Walmart in Bahia Blanca for 6 pesos each, which seems quite reasonable for an import. The black bean version sold out quickly but they still have a good supply of no fat/traditional and vegetarian.

Unfortunately, I am not sure if the Walmart in CF has them.

Since last Thursday the price increased for 6 pesos to just over 8 pesos per can.:eek:

Back