Registering baby in Argentina- passport question!

Also, whenever you decide to fly out of Argentina with your twins, make sure that you also have their birth certificates with you, otherwise they will not allow you to take them out of the country – it’s a mistake that we made, so be aware.

If you were married in Argentina, libreta de familia (with children's birth noted obviously) also works, so you don't need to carry the birth certificate.

If you anticipate that the children may need to travel with only one parent, you may also want to consider going to an escribano publico to arrange a Permiso/Autorización de Viaje, signed by both parents and allowing the child to travel with either parent (and/or alone).

Also your marriage certificate!!!
Marriage certificate not necessary, as long as birth certificate names both parents.

Last edited:
If you were married in Argentina, libreta de familia (with children's birth noted obviously) also works, so you don't need to carry the birth certificate.

If you anticipate that the children may need to travel with only one parent, you may also want to consider going to an escribano publico to arrange a Permiso/Autorización de Viaje, signed by both parents and allowing the child to travel with either parent (and/or alone).

Marriage certificate not necessary, as long as birth certificate names both parents.

Yep. Ben is spot on target with all his information. Two of our kids were born in Buenos Aires and have passports. I always laugh when we leave Argentina as we have to carry so many items to show at the airport.

Do you know if the babies can fly with just birth certificate or do I need to get their DNI sorted first? It’s just a regional flight back to Bariloche where we live- keen to get back as soon as possible. I might ring the airlines in case no one knows!

Do you know if the babies can fly with just birth certificate or do I need to get their DNI sorted first? It’s just a regional flight back to Bariloche where we live- keen to get back as soon as possible. I might ring the airlines in case no one knows!

Exceedingly unlikely that birth certificate would work. DNI would probably be necessary.
There is, though, an option to have the DNI within 24 hours. Details here.

Thanks all for the advice- posting on here just in case anyone needs it- was able to get the twins DNI within 24 hours done before the flight- thanks for the tip Ben! But also had to ring the airline (aerolineas) to get them properly booked on our ticket. But the only problem was I needed my Dr's certificate to say I was ok to fly after my c-section! Thankfully it was day 11 after the birth- day 10 is the earliest you can fly apparently. Luckily Dr was able to whatsapp a copy of the certificate and they accepted this after some hard moments - was not a fun experience but thankfully my Spanish is ok to argue with the check in lady! Was surprised as normally Argentina is very pro-family, and we were checking in with twin babies, but this lady was super harsh!

Reactions: ben
Exceedingly unlikely that birth certificate would work. DNI would probably be necessary.
There is, though, an option to have the DNI within 24 hours. Details here.

You need to apostille the birth certificate. Find out what requirements they have about its translation.

You need to apostille the birth certificate. Find out what requirements they have about its translation.

Not familiar with the UK’s procedures, but this is unlikely to be correct.
Apostille is not required for US nor for Canada, in general common-law jurisdictions tend to not require legalizations.
Cursory searching indeed turns up nothing about the UK wanting legalization. Moreover the OP seems to have already successfully travelled.
Translation yes, by an official translator.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the UK’s procedures, but this is unlikely to be correct.
Apostille is not required for US nor for Canada, in general common-law jurisdictions tend to not require legalizations.
Cursory searching indeed turns up nothing about the UK wanting legalization. Moreover the OP seems to have already successfully travelled.
Translation yes, by an official translator.

Not for travelling, for applying for the UK citizenship.

Back