Relocating in the next 6 months...

laineypainey

Registered
Hi community! My name is Alaine I plan to move to BA in the Next few months. My plan is to take a couple thousand dollars that I have, buy a plane ticket and just go, taking very few belongings, and once there I plan to start looking for a job. I have been researching and it says finding a job shouldn't be too difficult without a work Visa, I'm thinking as a tour guide or maybe as just staff in a cafe or something, cleaning houses maybe, it doesn't have to be alot of money just something to help me live, get situated and blend into the community. Once I adjust and start to blend in, I do plan to seek a more permanent type of position if I can find a company willing to sponsor me for a permanent work Visa, but to try to do so from overseas seems extremely complicated to me. I've looked so far, and many job placement agencies charge a fee, and I hav eo way of knowing if their businesses are legitimate.

Anyway before I leave I plan to get vaccinated, and once I arrive I plan to buy a laptop, a phone, and open a local bank account and find a hostel to stay at. I am thinking I will stay at a hostel for a few months until I find a room I can rent I think if I spend about 100$ USD per month at a hostel or renting a room, or $300 pesos a month does that sound reasonable?

Any info/advice/etc that anyone can offer me is highly appreciated

Finding a job here is certainly not a piece of cake, particularly for the kind of stuff you seem to be looking for. Having said that, it is not impossible either.

Other than that, I would recommend buying your laptop and phone in the US (if thats where you are from). All electronic/tech things are usually more expensive here.

If you plan on working in Buenos Aires, I don't think that's honestly a realistic goal. There are a few jobs out there, and the vast majority do not pay anything. Your best bet is to look for a job in the U.S. that would allow you to telecommute. While those are not plentiful either, that is really the only way to make it in Buenos Aires.

Opening a bank account is also a real pain in the ass, I've been told. This is another benefit of telecommuting. My employer deposited my check directly into my bank account in the U.S.

Have you been to Buenos Aires? Most people will echo this, but please do not come to BsAs if you've not had a chance to visit for a few weeks. The opinions vary, but there are people (like myself) who absolutely love Buenos Aires, and then there are others who absolutely hate it.

All the best to you!

300 pesos a month sounds unrealistically cheap for a hostel. Others might have more info on that.

Hola Alaine!
I think that you're budgeting too low for accomodation. A room in a hostel or shared apartment goes for closer to 300 USD (1000 ARS) a month. Take a look at the 'Rooms and Shares' section on Craigslist to get a better idea.
Suerte!

laineypainey said:
My name is Alaine I plan to move to BA in the Next few months. My plan is to take a couple thousand dollars that I have, buy a plane ticket and just go, taking very few belongings, and once there I plan to start looking for a job. I have been researching and it says finding a job shouldn't be too difficult without a work Visa, I'm thinking as a tour guide or maybe as just staff in a cafe or something, cleaning houses maybe, it doesn't have to be alot of money just something to help me live, get situated and blend into the community.​

$2000 USD won't get you very far -- especially if you want to buy a laptop here, where they are 2 - 3 x more expensive than in the states.

Staff in a cafe, cleaning houses -- you'll make $3 USD an hour if you're lucky.

laineypainey said:
Once I adjust and start to blend in, I do plan to seek a more permanent type of position if I can find a company willing to sponsor me for a permanent work Visa, but to try to do so from overseas seems extremely complicated to me. I've looked so far, and many job placement agencies charge a fee, and I hav eo way of knowing if their businesses are legitimate.

Bring some back up money, you might be able to convince a company to help you out, but you may end up having to foot a lot of the costs yourself.

laineypainey said:
Anyway before I leave I plan to get vaccinated, and once I arrive I plan to buy a laptop, a phone, and open a local bank account and find a hostel to stay at. I am thinking I will stay at a hostel for a few months until I find a room I can rent I think if I spend about 100$ USD per month at a hostel or renting a room, or $300 pesos a month does that sound reasonable?

Any info/advice/etc that anyone can offer me is highly appreciated

No vaccines necessary for Argentina, unless you're planning on heading beyond the borders at some point. You should get your Hep shots if you've never had them.

Buying a laptop, hahahaha, that made me laugh. You'd have to be insane, if you have the choice of buying one at home, you had better do so or be prepared to shell out big bucks.

Getting a bank account? Do a search on the forum, you'll find out that's not as easy as you would think.

I don't think $100 USD a month is going to get you monthly at even a hostel these days. I haven't stayed at one in a long time, but I would think at this point it's got to be about $100 USD a week. 400 pesos a month you can probably do a scuzzy hotel familiar.

$300 pesos, shared house,I don't know what the neighbourhood would be like. Maybe there's some mixed expat houses where you can get that low.

You need to do more research. A LOT more research. And buy a return ticket, because if you plan on working cleaning houses, you'll need a long long time to save up for your ticket back.

laineypainey said:
Hi community! My name is Alaine I plan to move to BA in the Next few months. My plan is to take a couple thousand dollars that I have, buy a plane ticket and just go, taking very few belongings, and once there I plan to start looking for a job. I have been researching and it says finding a job shouldn't be too difficult without a work Visa, I'm thinking as a tour guide or maybe as just staff in a cafe or something, cleaning houses maybe, it doesn't have to be alot of money just something to help me live, get situated and blend into the community. Once I adjust and start to blend in, I do plan to seek a more permanent type of position if I can find a company willing to sponsor me for a permanent work Visa, but to try to do so from overseas seems extremely complicated to me. I've looked so far, and many job placement agencies charge a fee, and I hav eo way of knowing if their businesses are legitimate.​

Anyway before I leave I plan to get vaccinated, and once I arrive I plan to buy a laptop, a phone, and open a local bank account and find a hostel to stay at. I am thinking I will stay at a hostel for a few months until I find a room I can rent I think if I spend about 100$ USD per month at a hostel or renting a room, or $300 pesos a month does that sound reasonable?​

Any info/advice/etc that anyone can offer me is highly appreciated​
Are you crazy or is this a joke. Do your research on this forum. There are answers here for every question you posed. And many which you haven't yet considered.

Interesting, I thought electronics would be easier to get there, and I've read a few things about electrical currencies and voltages being incompatible with U.S. standards. So, If I should get that stuff here, great. I don't think I will dislike Buenos Aires, but I'm still going to continue to research. If it isn't easy to open a bank, how do you expats handle changing your currency etc? I have heard many people say ATM is the best way to go to get cash, but it can also get pricey because you pay the exchange fee etc. I was thinking if a transfer a larger sum of money, say a few hundred or a thousand, and put it in a local bank, I could avoid havign to use my ATM each and every time

laineypainey said:
Interesting, I thought electronics would be easier to get there, and I've read a few things about electrical currencies and voltages being incompatible with U.S. standards. So, If I should get that stuff here, great. I don't think I will dislike Buenos Aires, but I'm still going to continue to research. If it isn't easy to open a bank, how do you expats handle changing your currency etc? I have heard many people say ATM is the best way to go to get cash, but it can also get pricey because you pay the exchange fee etc. I was thinking if a transfer a larger sum of money, say a few hundred or a thousand, and put it in a local bank, I could avoid havign to use my ATM each and every time
Now I am certain that this is a JOKE.

LOL Me too!

LaineyPainey... if this isn't a joke, you've got a LOT of reading to do, curl up, get comfortable, and read the entire forum, then come back with questions -- the dollar is worth a lot on the peso, but inflation is really high here.

Back