Relocation companies

Ber

Registered
Does anyone know a good relocation company that wont charge me an outrageous amount of money to move ONLY clothing/books and some small appliances?
all I can find is on the 5k range, which to me seems to be A BIT highly priced.

(I am moving from NYC to BsAs)

thanks!

Hi Ber: If you are only bringing books and clothing I suggest just to bring everythig with you and pay the extra luggage. I came with 5 suitcases and a LEd TV and paid 400 USD, traveling with AA. If you are flying with other companies you can bring even more stuff. In addition, there is a new AFIP regulations that, if you are Argentinean and have lived more than 2 years overseas you do not pay any custom duties (PM if you are interested on which RG is, it is new from May 2011). Hiring a relocation company will be cost you tons...much cheaper and safer if you bring your stuff with you.

Hope it helps.

Irene

I did the same thing Irene suggested. Overwight luggage & couple of pcs more cost less than realocation company. In Lufthansa 150 EUR for extra peace of 34kg's and they never charge oveweight.

What are the small appliances you want to import?

You may be able to ship books duty free, but just about everything else is subject to 50% customs fees (including the shipping costs) unless you have temporary residency (and post a guarantee) or are a returning citizen or permanent resident who has lived abroad for at least one year (according to this website):

"Argentine Citizens and Foreign Citizens With Permanent Residence:

Valid and original passport(s) showing clearly that shipper has been a resident in another country for a period not less than 12 months, and that such residence has not been interrupted with entries into Argentina for more than 60 days (accumulative) in the last 12 months prior to shipper’s re-entry.
Two Original B/L’s or AWB’s.
Certificate of Residence issued by Argentine Consulate in the country of Origin. (Not required for foreigners)."

Source: http://www.omnimoving.com/public/customs.aspx

Aguafresca cited new regulations as of May 2011, so the foreign residency requirement might now be two years.

You can bring as much used stuff as the airline you are flying will allow without paying any duty.

Even if you have five suitcases and or boxes the chance of customs inspecting them closely is small.

Aguafresca said:
Steve: There is a new Regulation from AFIP (3109-2011)exempting Argentineans and Permanent residents who are moving to Argentina after living 2 years overseas. So, Ben will not be charged with custom duties. The RG is pretty new from May 2011 and I did take advantage of it when moving back to Argenitna 2 months ago. Check out the link below

http://biblioteca.afip.gov.ar/gateway.dll/Normas/ResolucionesGenerales/reag01003109_2011_05_09.xml

Yes, I see the new regulation requires two years, and I just read in another thread that Ber is Argentinian, so there would not be any duty on personal goods that are shipped.

Nonetheless, it looks like the shipping fees ( min 5K) might far outweigh the value of a few small appliances and used clothing.

The last time I returned form the USA I had 5 100lb suitcases filled with clothes, shoes, sheets , and curtains. It was really worth the extra $750 USD I paid the airline.

5 100# suitcases? PLEEZZEE.

You probably don't need most of the books; donate them to a library. If you're coming from NYC the small appliances probably won't work in BA. Have a garage sale.

fred mertz said:
5 100# suitcases? PLEEZZEE.

I only brought five suitcases because the AA website indicated that was the maximum (so was 100 lbs. per bag). I spent 15 minutes at curbside redistributing stuff so that none of the bags would exceed 100lbs.

At check in the agent at the counter told me I could have brought a couple more, and I would have if I'd known.

I finally moved back 3 months ago.
I did bring most of my stuff with me. I used LAN Cargo, as I had 280kg of books, clothes and appliances. Indeed appliances wont work here unless I buy voltage converters. This was the best I could have done, as appliances here are really expensive (a KitchenAid that I´ve got for 250U$D, is 3 times the price in BsAs.

In any case, thanks for your advice!

B

ps. And yes, regulations in AFIP changed in May 2011. Still, since I´ve been living abroad for 9 years, didnt have to pay a penny. :)

Back