Rent Increases

I have thought historically the 2-year rental prices were pretty low. Now the rentals are rising fast. Rentals in Buenos Aires are not a bargain anymore. Some of this increase is due to real increases in the cost for utilities, maintenance, salaries (inflation). However, much of this is also speculation on the part of property owners. If "everybody" is raising rental prices then I need to as well. In a market where mortgages were available this would drive more people to buy homes. In Buenos Aires it will simply create a rent bubble and drive more people out of the city to find affordable rent.

There was thread about how dólar should be more expensive. Now it is, and real estates are sold in dollars... Most middle class Argentinians were able to buy dollars till December around 11 average, now it's 16,and expected to be higher soon. 50% rent increase is therefore logical. There are more capable members here to do the math, but fast check tells you, that without huge increase renting is quite stupid. Where is investment, if it pays itself after 40 years?

Found the homeowner. ;)

Let's price ourselves out of the market and end up with nothing.

Found the homeowner. ;)
I'm not renting nothing to anyone. I'm earning in pesos and my salary didn't see a peso increase since last September. Partly I blame my USA company, which is happily pocketing the difference, so I'm packing soon.

I just wanted to say, that you can't have it all. Argentina is not a poor country, and people won't just accept to have their earnings cut in half,at least not the ones who can do something about it - landlords and empresarios. Expats are still quite good off comparing to Argentinians, who earn in pesos and rent at the same time.

We will see how it will turn out, but for some time for most of the people here it won't be fun time...

I'm not renting nothing to anyone. I'm earning in pesos and my salary didn't see a peso increase since last September. Partly I blame my USA company, which is happily pocketing the difference, so I'm packing soon.

I just wanted to say, that you can't have it all. Argentina is not a poor country, and people won't just accept to have their earnings cut in half,at least not the ones who can do something about it - landlords and empresarios. Expats are still quite good off comparing to Argentinians, who earn in pesos and rent at the same time.

We will see how it will turn out, but for some time for most of the people here it won't be fun time...

I'll repeat this Ad nauseam--- Argentinians that earn in pesos and are Unionized are BETTER off than Expats , porteros, bankers, truckers etc got raises of 3o% plus. I got ZERO increase in my dollar income. The Dollar now is about the same the Blue was a year AGO..!!

I'll repeat this Ad nauseam--- Argentinians that earn in pesos and are Unionized are BETTER off than Expats , porteros, bankers, truckers etc got raises of 3o% plus. I got ZERO increase in my dollar income. The Dollar now is about the same the Blue was a year AGO..!!

Agreed. I really don't know why people assume earning in dollars instantly means being better off. I am worse off than I was a year ago, while actually making more money. So this year I face a 50% increase on my already 7500 peso rent even though I have less pesos in my hand every month after going through the typical conversion methods.

Have my Argentine friends and family been hit too? You bet, but most I know have also had raises and are not as affected as I have been. Just because I earn more than them to begin with does not mean I don't feel losing a portion of my income, or shouldn't moan and/or be worried about the situation.

Hey guess what, Argentines that are NOT unionized and work in the O&G or Mining industries are getting a ZERO increase on their PESOS income. So guess what, there's STILL people worse off than you and your dollars.

No one, not a single person I know working in O&G or Mining who isn't in a union got an increase. NOR did they get bonuses this year. Not a single one of them. So they are getting huge pay cuts this year and not even a bonus to help prop them up.

Hey guess what, Argentines that are NOT unionized and work in the O&G or Mining industries are getting a ZERO increase on their PESOS income. So guess what, there's STILL people worse off than you and your dollars.

No one, not a single person I know working in O&G or Mining who isn't in a union got an increase. NOR did they get bonuses this year. Not a single one of them. So they are getting huge pay cuts this year and not even a bonus to help prop them up.

Guess what.... jajaja Cartoneros also didn't get raises. All those in negro also SO? Should I compare with Catoneros and Linyeras?? I compare myself with middle class profesionals...!! Chau

PD Manteros and monotribustistas got no adustments

For now there were no increases. Today I get for my salary approximately 40% less dollars I got year ago, also before paritarias.

That some workers get huge increases and many almost nothing is a sad fact of this country. Still, having dollars protects you a bit from inflation and will much more in the future.

I'm not crying in the corner and feel sorry for myself, I will just leave, as many of you can. But I do feel sorry for others who don't have this option.

For now there were no increases. Today I get for my salary approximately 40% less dollars I got year ago, also before paritarias.

That some workers get huge increases and many almost nothing is a sad fact of this country. Still, having dollars protects you a bit from inflation and will much more in the future.

I'm not crying in the corner and feel sorry for myself, I will just leave, as many of you can. But I do feel sorry for others who don't have this option.

I had the same situation (US company, few if any inflationary pay increases) and eventually had to leave. In fact, two years ago today.

Back