Rent Nightmare

I wouldn't sweat your problems too much. Find a new place to live and get out of where you are as quick as you can. You can do all sorts of things to try to enforce the contract and make things fair, but it will cost you time and money and with varying chances of success. this is a thing many who live here have to deal with.

In fact, about half of the temporary apartments I lived in when I first came here, I either didn't get my deposit back, or part of it, or had problems getting it back. We take care of the places we live in, but many owners (particularly of part-time rentals) are a bit more dishonest when it comes to having money in hand and forgetting about everything else, and making up stuff to charge for to justify their dishonesty. I learned to expect that I wouldn't be getting my deposit back (and was happy when I did get it back with no problem) as time went on.

As for the kids:

I make these comments in a general fashion, not specifically directed to the OP, as the OP mentions that they are only having noise complaints in the current place and it may be that they are not being too noisy, but people around them may be TOO sensitive. It is impossible to keep all noise from other people in apartment buildings and one always has to deal with some noise as a given.

We have three young ladies who live with us, 18,16 and 13. We have a number of younger kids that come all the time, including, for about 5 months, my wife's oldest sister's three kids, 12, 9 and 1 year, who lived with us full-time while the elder sister was.getting her life together.

We were after the kids all the time at first to keep them quiet, specifically not to run in the apartment and bang things around, and also not to go out the front door or the kitchen door and play in the staircase where the sound echoes so well up and down the shaft. I even had to get after them about throwing orange peels out their bedroom window because it fell onto a small patio where our portero's kids play. It took a couple of days to get it under control, with an occasional reminder, but they learned pretty quickly.

I mention this because one of my biggest pet peeves are the people who live above us and do nothing to control their kids, as far as we can tell. 10 and 5, older a boy and younger a girl. I've literally heard the boy and his friends playing futbol (thump thump thumpthumpthumpthump CRASH! BANG! "Goooooooollllllll") and various other noises of running through the apartment from front to back (we have a floor), pretty much all day long while they're not in school, well into the night.

Talking to the parents has done nothing. "Sorry [shrugs shoulders], but what can we do? They're just kids" is what always comes back. I've been trying to figure out a way to attach a speaker to my ceiling and make their floor vibrate loudly, but I'm sure it will annoy me as much as it will them...

I raised three kids in the States from babies to young adults. I know what it is to keep kids from doing thing they shouldn't.

It has been my observation that here people love their kids - maybe a little too much, not that they don't love them. They are indulged and allowed to run pretty much wild at many times/places. I've been in restaurants where the parents let their kids run around the dining room, and have had a 3-4 year old come up to my table and want to take something off my plate before (only once - but still! And most everyone looking on saying "oh isn't that cute").

I confronted him about the bed after telling agency over the phone the first week, and my husband's subsequent email to both the parties but to that he turned back to me and said that probably your kids jumped and it broke. That burnt me real bad, considering in the previous house the beds were smaller and brand new, there was no damaged done to those and I lived there for 9months, and this guy is putting the old damage and putting it on me just because I have kids it automatically means they did the damage.

Its not as much as people here more like the younger generation here, or the middle generation that seems to have more issue with the kids, the older people are overly sweet when they meet our kids and same goes with younger ones.

Now its 11pm my kids are sleeping and there is loud music playing in the apartment above me with no signs of it slowing down or going off anytime soon, is there no rule for this? or do people only don't like kids?

I confronted him about the bed after telling agency over the phone the first week, and my husband's subsequent email to both the parties but to that he turned back to me and said that probably your kids jumped and it broke. That burnt me real bad, considering in the previous house the beds were smaller and brand new, there was no damaged done to those and I lived there for 9months, and this guy is putting the old damage and putting it on me just because I have kids it automatically means they did the damage.

Its not as much as people here more like the younger generation here, or the middle generation that seems to have more issue with the kids, the older people are overly sweet when they meet our kids and same goes with younger ones.

Now its 11pm my kids are sleeping and there is loud music playing in the apartment above me with no signs of it slowing down or going off anytime soon, is there no rule for this? or do people only don't like kids?

I am sorry you have crappy neighbors, where in the city are you/? I have to say that if there is a city where kids and pets are welcome, that is Buenos Aires. Try NYC or London for example.

And really sometimes is not the kids being kids,but the quality of the construction being crappy cardboard like.

I firmly believe that - aside from certain exceptions such as seniors' homes and the like, where there are grounds to expect that there will be no children - people who don't have children have no business giving their opinions on keeping kids quiet.

Not to say that parents shouldn't be keeping their kids reasonably behaved, this is obvious. Just that it happens often enough that people who never had kids - or who haven't had them in a while - can quickly get unreasonable. Were you as well behaved at age 5 as you're now demanding?

One of the few genuinely good things about this country that it'd be great to see up north is the level of respect afforded to mothers with children and expecting mothers.

Regarding the condition of the house - is it possible to take photo evidence showing the damage is not such that occurred during the past week? Just an idea.

where in the city are you/?

And really sometimes is not the kids being kids,but the quality of the construction being crappy cardboard like.

I live in Recoleta.

And yes im not defending that I have pin drop silence in my house but yes we (me & kids) try very hard that there are no complaints, but if they even pull up a chair to sit on the table or walk about in the house, someone comes knocking!

I firmly believe that - aside from certain exceptions such as seniors' homes and the like, where there are grounds to expect that there will be no children - people who don't have children have no business giving their opinions on keeping kids quiet.

Not to say that parents shouldn't be keeping their kids reasonably behaved, this is obvious. Just that it happens often enough that people who never had kids - or who haven't had them in a while - can quickly get unreasonable. Were you as well behaved at age 5 as you're now demanding?

One of the few genuinely good things about this country that it'd be great to see up north is the level of respect afforded to mothers with children and expecting mothers.

Regarding the condition of the house - is it possible to take photo evidence showing the damage is not such that occurred during the past week? Just an idea.

thank you for saying that about kids, Ive been trying to say that nicely since yesterday.

about the pictures we now regret, that we didn't think of doing that when we rented the house and showed the owner the damages that were already there and missed some but he said that he knows and a little wear n tear is not a problem, but with him putting the bed on us I have this terrible feeling that he would charge us other previous damages too, which he either didn't know or conveniently forgotten about. where as the portero told me that the previous tenents damaged a lot of things in this house. Now its been 4 months of us living here and the matter is not resolving in anyway. and its too late now to take the pics.

I firmly believe that - have no business giving their opinions

Anyone and everyone in this world belonging to any strata of the society, or any country, or of any color, cast, religion or creed has a right to his/her opinion on any matter which may or may not affect him/her directly or indirectly.

Reactions: jpw
Anyone and everyone in this world belonging to any strata of the society, or any country, or of any color, cast, religion or creed has a right to his/her opinion on any matter which may or may not affect him/her directly or indirectly.

Sigh. Now we're trampling on First Amendment rights...

Anybody has the right to their opinions. Example: A thirteen-year-old visiting someone in hospital has the right to their opinion regarding an elderly cancer patient's groaning too loudly when in pain, and whether said patient ought to consider doctor-assisted suicide.

Anybody and everybody else has the right to point out to the original right-holder that they are being out of line, to wit - that their exercising said right shows constitutes a display of insensitivity/callousness/ignorance/stupidity.

Hence my use of 'have no business' rather than rights-based language like 'should be barred from'. If someone insists on their right to be an ass, who am I to argue? (Though I have the right to.)

[...]And yes im not defending that I have pin drop silence in my house but yes we (me & kids) try very hard that there are no complaints, but if they even pull up a chair to sit on the table or walk about in the house, someone comes knocking!

That's absolutely ridiculous.

You know, I wonder if you might be having problems with the neighbors simply because you are occupying a temporary rental. I know two different guys who run apartment rental businesses and they both have an apartment (one each, different places) where the residents do everything they can to mess with the temporary tenants.

In one, the one I'm more familiar with, there was a guy across the hall who would pee on the door and in front of the door of the temporary apartment and then officially complain about the smell to the consortium. My friend found this out by putting a wireless camera in a plant in the hallway and caught him red-handed! A few months after that, the consortium itself created a special expense charge for that particular apartment of 2000 pesos a month, which was an invalid charge that the owner (from the US) had to fight in court and finally got dismissed after about a year.

Reactions: jpw
Back