Renting an Apartment: Mañana Syndrome

grosso95

Registered
Moved to a new apartment. The real estate agent I'm in touch with has told me 8 times over 2 weeks that something will be done and then they just don't respond or update me.

Is this just part of the culture? I'm used to people being this way in LATAM but never like this.

Basically when I moved in they said x,y and z can be done by tomorrow (I didn't even ask for it to be done right away). Now it's 2 weeks and they forgot about y and z but keep telling me shortly x will be solved or they will tell me later in the day and then they just ghost.

Moved to a new apartment. The real estate agent I'm in touch with has told me 8 times over 2 weeks that something will be done and then they just don't respond or update me.

Is this just part of the culture? I'm used to people being this way in LATAM but never like this.

Basically when I moved in they said x,y and z can be done by tomorrow (I didn't even ask for it to be done right away). Now it's 2 weeks and they forgot about y and z but keep telling me shortly x will be solved or they will tell me later in the day and then they just ghost.
Mañana means mañana here, like I'll finish it mañana. Mañana.

What's the right move here then? Confront them? I'm used to letting it go and turning the other cheek but this is borderline too much at this point.

I guess come payment day I should give them the same treatment then lol?

Yes, it can be normal. In an apartment we stayed in in Canitas, the blackout blind in the bedroom fell down one summer, so we had blazing sunshine in there from about 5am. The agency responsible (I'm not supposed to name them, but it begins with "Rent", avoid at all costs) never fixed the problem over 3 months or so; when we moved out, in frustration, it still wasn't fixed. They weren't able to find a screw for it. The air conditioning also broke down, in the middle of summer, they claimed they couldn't find spare parts (BGH, utter crap, but made in Argentina so spares can't be difficult to come by).

It turned out that the problem was that though the owner had an agency to manage the rentals, he also wanted to be involved, and in particular to approve any repairs. So responsibility bounced from one to another, always involving different people, and never getting anything done.

My recommendation is to walk away. I'd consult with a lawyer before withholding rent.

It's not a big issue that needs to be solved, I'm just amazed someone can be so bad at communication.
I was going to give it a few more days and then confront them (respectfully) about it.
It's a furnished place I already paid deposit and commision. I wonder if I should withhold rent the last month I'm here to recover my deposit though, as If they can't be trusted to deliver a simple task I'm not sure I trust them to give me back my deposit at the end.

You either fix it yourself if you can be bothered or just leave it for the next victim

If it is a temp rental, you paid in advance, the RE got his commission, you can start thinking of fixing xyz yourself because unless it is something that bothers other neighbors or causes damages to the property, they can be veeeeeeeeeeeeery slow ( as in tomorrow never comes I would say )

I suggest you call the repairman/plumber/electrician directly and deduct the cost from the rent.
Recovering the deposit at the end can be very frustrating, the agent will deduct the ridiculous charges for wear and tear , cleaning costs and paint of walls that can be soiled. !

Mañanaaaa... Mañanaaaa..!

The sun'll come out tomorrow
Oh, you gotta hang on 'til tomorrow, come what may
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow
You're always a day away......
Annie .

Back