Renting: short or long

CityGirl, I wasn't saying you couldn't find someone who would extend a 6 month lease. I was saying that even though you have made the agreement between yourself and the owner to rent AFTER the original (or subsequent) 6 month lease, you have nothing that actually binds the owner to follow through on that. There are actually many owners who would not rent to ME for more than one 6 month contract for the reasons I gave in my post. That was more than two years ago now, but I doubt things have gotten better in general related to renting.

Also, with the rent increases - you never know. I just closed a deal on an apartment in a very nice part of town, a beautiful place, that has no second year increase in rent - and the monthly price includes the building expneses, which are notoriously unstable often and the monthly price is extremely low!

I had a 6 month returning lease back in 2007 and the owner got me out of the apartment by increasing the lease price by over 60% on the second 6 month term, even though we had agreed to 10%. You just never know and without a contract you can't enforce anything.

As well, I know a guy who has managed to rent two different apartments, both without a guarantee, but I was unable to duplicate that feat myself in the last two leases I've made.

JP - the contracts are written that yes, you can cancel the contract after 6 months. You must give two months notice and pay a one and a half month penalty in the first year. After one year, you still have to give a two month notice, but your penalty for breaking the contract is reduced to a month.

If you want to give a one month notice, too bad - that second month becomes a penalty and you may as well stay in the place for that month because you will have to pay it if you leave early.

I got the info off of my current contract, which I just signed four weeks ago, to make sure I had the straight dope.

If you follow the rules of the contract, even cancelling, you are supposed to be able to get your deposit back. That all depends on the owner and how honest he/she is. I've heard good stories and I've heard horror stories.

Also, I had my lawyer review the previous contract I had and he told me that the contract was following the law. Even if they write something else into the contract, like reducing the penalty or the number of months of notice, for example, the law takes precedence over the content of the contract if it is pressed in court.

Of course im sure. That is why, besides a deposit there is also a guarantee. The owner can take the guarantor to court depending on the circumstances. [/B]
jp said:
You sure on this?
I understood that legally you could leave a contract after 6 months. You'll lose your deposit, but thats about it.

It depends on the owner, the circumstances, and the wording of the contract. They ( the owners ) have the right to take the guarantor to court if they want. My friend tried to get out of his two year lease nine months into it. He had to pay the last three months to complete the year in order to get out of it and avoid having to go to court.

ElQueso said:
JP - the contracts are written that yes, you can cancel the contract after 6 months. You must give two months notice and pay a one and a half month penalty in the first year. After one year, you still have to give a two month notice, but your penalty for breaking the contract is reduced to a month.

If you want to give a one month notice, too bad - that second month becomes a penalty and you may as well stay in the place for that month because you will have to pay it if you leave early.

I got the info off of my current contract, which I just signed four weeks ago, to make sure I had the straight dope.

If you follow the rules of the contract, even cancelling, you are supposed to be able to get your deposit back. That all depends on the owner and how honest he/she is. I've heard good stories and I've heard horror stories.

Also, I had my lawyer review the previous contract I had and he told me that the contract was following the law. Even if they write something else into the contract, like reducing the penalty or the number of months of notice, for example, the law takes precedence over the content of the contract if it is pressed in court.

Interesting. Guess I was misled by my estate agent. Wouldn't be the first time...

Thanks all. Have only called out a few points but it's all helpful stuff.

steveinbsas said:
If you're coming for at lest 14 months, I suggest that you rent a short term apartment in Palermo for a month (even on line prior to arrival) and spend some time looking for a six month lease. That way you can explore other barrios, including San Telmo, and even with meet with others with whom you might consider sharing a place.

Hopefully, your employer is helping with your work visa. If you have lived in two different countries in the past five years you will need criminal background checks from both. Other members have recently posted that getting the FBI report isn't fast or easy and may now require the seal of the Apostille.

The 1-month rental is a solid idea. I did a similar thing in London and it worked well. In NY I didn't and it worked spectacularly, but I recognise how lucky that was.

One of us is helped by our employer for the visa, the other not. Surely nothing can be more difficult than US immigration!? (fingers concretely crossed, that was nightmarish.) I have shivers thinking about visas, but thanks for the heads up. I'm 3 countries in 5 years...dang.

citygirl said:
You say transfer so I assume you are coming here for work. So the first and most important question is where will your office be? And how are you planning on commuting (subway? cab?) That would determine location.

Still undetermined - I work for a holding company and will be selecting a location in the next few weeks.

If you really want to safe money you rent directly from owners,e.g., http://www.vivavisos.com.ar/
You will need a fluent Spanish speaker. Not everyone will insist on a Garantia, they will charge probably several months of deposit, but it will be still a lot cheaper. If you find a big apartment you could also share it with someone, but make sure to let the owner know.

Depending on your expectation you can get used furniture at the salvation army and fridge, etc. from mercado libre.

Back