Rentisa Visa Questions

My wife and I applied for a pensionado visa from the US at out city's Argentine consulate in 2016. While we were retired already, we were not receiving SS benefits and did not have pensions per se, just private retirement accounts. For that reason they said we would have to give us a rentista visa. They did not require that any part of that money be put in a trust

I'm fairly certain that you didn't have to go to the effort of using a trust account (which should be relatively simple to create) because your funds were in private retirement accounts which would show a clear history of deposits over time and/or any previous withdrawals, not in regular savings or checking accounts.

That being said, it might be possible to qualify for the visa rentista if the $40K USD are invested in certificates of deposit with varying maturity dates that will generate the required monthly funds to satisfy migraciones...at least enough to issue a via rentista in this case.

If not, a simple trust account (with the funds in the trust invested in certificates of deposit with varying maturity dates) should make them happy.

PS: I imagine migraciones will want to know the source of the $40K ali84747 hopes to use to qualify for the visa, and acceptable detailed records of the source of the funds could be very important if they ask.

Last edited:
Best I can remember we presented them with only the balances in those retirement accounts, no history of deposits or withdrawals, and we were no longer contributing new funds to those accounts. We also showed proof of balances in Checking and savings accounts.
I'm fairly certain that you didn't have to go to the effort of using a trust account (which should be relatively simple to create) because your funds were in private retirement accounts which would show a clear history of deposits over time and/or any previous withdrawals, not in regular savings or checking accounts.

That being said, it might be possible to qualify for the visa rentista if the $40K USD are invested in certificates of deposit with varying maturity dates that will generate the required monthly funds to satisfy migraciones...at least enough to issue a via rentista in this case.

If not, a simple trust account (with the funds in the trust invested in certificates of deposit with varying maturity dates) should make them happy.

PS: I imagine migraciones will want to know the source of the $40K ali84747 hopes to use to qualify for the visa, and acceptable detailed records of the source of the funds could be very important if they ask.

Best I can remember we presented them with only the balances in those retirement accounts, no history of deposits or withdrawals, and we were no longer contributing new funds to those accounts. We also showed proof of balances in Checking and savings accounts.

Argentine migraciones is and always be a source of constant wonder (as in wondering what they will or won't ask for and accept or reject). I think the fact that your funds were in retirement accounts probably made a big difference.

PS: It would be great if they if they will accept a savings account balance of $40K to qualify for the visa rentista, but just having that amount of money on deposit doesn't mean it's actually money the applicant earned or will have access to in the future.

Right now $8,000 USD is enough to "fund" a visa rentista for one year and (obviously) $16,000 would (if they ask for it) be enough for two years.

PS: As previously suggested, I think ali84747 should apply for a visa rentista asap.

Last edited:
But no translation? I hope that means it's no longer required, but I seriously doubt it.

No proof of income? I hope that means it's no longer required, but I seriously doubt it.

If it is required and your retirement income is US Social Security, at least you will be able to get a "monthly benefits letter" in Spanish at the US Embassy. It won't require translation or an Apostille, but it will have to be"legalized" in Argentina.
It has taken some days for these issues to show their colors in the Radex system and in a reply from the US Embassy here.
The proof of income requirement for a Pensioner temporary residency didn't show up in the Radex pages until all the other activity were completed. it is required. It seems that the Radex system requires first collecting all the basic information, payments and document upload requirements first. Once those are completed it looks at the purpose of the application and adds an upload page for the docs of the particular basis for applying.
A window appeared asking for proof of income for Pensioner. It did not however mention that it must be translated, legalized or apostilled.
I do have a benefits letter from Social Security in English. I uploaded that. That completed the Radex course, then checked the Finalizir button and received an in-page notice of completion and an associated number.
Separately in their general information documents I've read they want it translated, legalized, but it's not clear whether it must be apostilled. They also advise you that when you're called in, to bring the originals of all the docs you've uploaded in the application. Will get the SS benefits letter translated, legalized and hope that's enough for them.
On the matter of the US Embassy benefits letter in Spanish monthly, here's the Embassy's reply when I asked them by e-mail about a monthly benefits letter in Spanish:
"Please be informed that we can only issue an income verification letter periodically. People may request such letter from time to time to request a loan, visa, etc. However, we cannot provide the service you request monthly."
Periodically but not monthly, I've asked them to clarify and in any case how to get one. No reply yet.

Last edited:
It
On the matter of the US Embassy benefits letter in Spanish monthly, here's the Embassy's reply when I asked them by e-mail about a monthly benefits letter in Spanish:

"Please be informed that we can only issue an income verification letter periodically. People may request such letter from time to time to request a loan, visa, etc. However, we cannot provide the service you request monthly."

Periodically but not monthly, I've asked them to clarify and in any case how to get one. No reply yet.

It appears that whoever replied to your request thought you were asking for a (new) letter confirming your monthly Social Security benefits to be issued each and every month.

You should be able to clear that up with another message informing that you only need one letter confirming the benefits you receive on a monthly basis.

Back