Rentista Visa

I think you will have to provide evidence of the ATM withdrawals for at least the previous two months when submitting your application to migraciones.

I don't think that's quite right. At least it wasn't two years ago at the point the electronic system had just appeared. Things may be different now, but when I did it the system only allowed you to upload a single ATM receipt.

Clearly, the electronic system has resulted in changes since I got my residency. If you can only upload one ATM receipt, that is actually "easier" than providing the previous two months bank statements and all of the ATM receipts (showing withdrawals of enough ARS to meet the monthly requirement) when I first applied for residency. For the renewals I had to show the previous two months Argentine bank statements showing deposits that met the monthly income requirement and an updated letter (always with the Apostille) from a bank officer in the US confirming that I was still receiving the funds each month.

I only "discovered" when I requested the cambio de categoria to permanent residency on the third renewal that, as far as migraciones was concerned, I always had the visa pensionado, not the visa rentista.

Yes, I think there is a danger of confusing two things: (i) the withdrawal of money to establish that you can access your nominated account from Argentina--this for the purposes of submitting your application and obtaining your precaria; (ii) the withdrawals you make after you have you have been granted your precaria and it has then turned into temporary residency--this for the purposes of demonstrating your on-going willingness to bring in the required monthly minimum and thus qualify for a renewal of the temporary residency after the first twelve months.

I am pretty certain that the initial withdrawal where you keep the receipt, photograph it and upload it, can be in any amount. The proof of a transaction is what counts, not the amount.

It would be pretty unreasonable for them to expect you to be bringing in the 30,000 pesos in every month before you even have a precaria, or even if you have a precaria but are still waiting for your temporary residency. One of the perverse things about the rentista is that it takes months (or years) to assess and whilst they are doing so you don't have to bring any money in at all if you don't want to/have to. It is only when, and if, they finally award you the temporary residency, that the 30,000 pesos must begin to disappear each month from your account at home and start appearing in an account here.

Last edited:
Yes, I think there is a danger of confusing two things: (i) the withdrawal of money to establish that you can access your nominated account from Argentina--this for the purposes of submitting your application and obtaining your precaria; (ii) the withdrawals you make after you have you have been granted your precaria and it has then turned into temporary residency--this for the purposes of demonstrating your on-going willingness to bring in the required monthly minimum and thus qualify for a renewal of the temporary residency after the first twelve months.

I am pretty certain that the initial withdrawal where you keep the receipt, photograph it and upload it, can be in any amount. The proof of a transaction is what counts, not the amount.

It would be pretty unreasonable for them to expect you to be bringing in the 30,000 pesos in every month before you even have a precaria, or even if you have a precaria but are still waiting for your temporary residency. One of the perverse things about the rentista is that it takes months (or years) to assess and whilst they are doing so you don't have to bring any money in at all if you don't want to/have to. It is only when, and if, they finally award you the temporary residency, that the 30,000 pesos must begin to disappear each month from your account at home and start appearing in an account here.
Is this the process you actually go through? DNM checks your bank records to prove you have deposited the $30.000 pesos monthly? Sounds expensive at 80 pesos to the dollar.

When I got my residencia rentista. The first year, I had to show proof of the income. The second year, I had to show proof of a bank account. The third year, I had to show proof of a transfer between Argentine and American bank accounts. Then I got permanent residency. It sounds a lot more onerous now.

Dunno. Never got to the other end of the process. Maybe nobody ever does nowadays...

Dunno. Never got to the other end of the process. Maybe nobody ever does nowadays...
I insist. You should ask for a vista and publish here the Legal Opinion so we know how do they interpret it.

I think the reason is that they have been simply incapable of processing the application. Or were waiting for me to "facilitate" the process. The case was reasonably straight forward. The documentation was impeccable in form and presentation. After nine months one of the staff members in building C told me my file hadn't even been opened and that it would take a formal request to expedite the tramite for anyone to act. So I put that request in. Nothing more happened for another five months or so. Then the summer shut down hit. Then the pandemic hit. Then at about the 18-month mark, somebody must have finally opened the file. By that stage, some of the documents were (they claimed) out of date, so they wrote to me asking me to submit new versions and a new document that had not been specified originally. This would have entailed going home--impossible in my case due to the pandemic--obtaining new versions of the same documents, apostilling, returning, translating, etc. A classic story of bureaucracy gone mad.

But it works out in my favor. The category no longer suits me. I will shortly qualify under another much more convenient category. I am content for the matter to drag on. Slow and steady wins the race.

I put it down to administrative ineptitude. Nothing more sinister than that.

The rentista category is a good way to stay in Argentina legally and hassle-free for months or even years while they work out what to do with you. Otherwise, I wouldn't advise anybody to bother. It takes a lot of very careful planning and execution (and not a small amount of money) over several months to line everything up, generate all the documents, apostille and translate them, and then save them saved electronically in the correct formats, ready to upload to the system. And that's the easy part.

Last edited:
This thread is more recent than the one in my previous post:

And it also includes information on how to contact Javier Segura regarding temporary residency and citizenship.

He speaks perfect Englich and the first consultation is free.

He was first mentioned in this forum in 2011.

I actualy spoke with him in 2020 and metnioned him in this thread:

Here is a list of all of Javier's posts in the forum:

Back