Reporting contact with an international fugitive in BA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MorganF said:
why did so many people, *fully admitting in this thread that they knew he was so sketchy* (that he lied so much etc), why did they still befriend him, work for him, live with him? It's weirdly funny, all the people saying, "yeah, I knew he lied (or he stole or he did all these other bad things)... but I didn't think he was a bad guy... I was friends with him anyway (or I went to work for him or lived with him)... and then he stole from me, so now I hate him".
-morgan

Pass the popcorn, Morgan. Perhaps people allow themselves to fall for deceit and scams because the scammer is adept at keeping them occupied playing “the trust game”:

http://neuroeconomics.typepad.com/ne...ust_games.html

According to results of studies produced in 1995, only 5% of us don't feel a need to trust others including strangers.

Perhaps once a scammer is certain that someone is committed to playing that game out with him/her, all he then has to do is hope that some of his targets have too much of the neurotransmitter known as the “trust hormone”, Oxytocin (not Oxycontin) in their blood:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/aug/21/oxytocin-zak-neuroscience-trust-hormone
It’s said that environmental factors might help determine levels of this chemical in each of us.

Could it be that whether someone falls prey to a scam because he trusts too much or averts one by not trusting depends entirely or more upon his chemical makeup even though we tend to think of victims as ‘gullible’ and persons who avoid cons as ‘smart’?

Does saying that one “learned a lesson” as a result of being scammed synchronize with a rise in a person’s Oxytocin level after he sees the hard results of a successful scam against him? Or do some of us have to endure always trusting too much or not enough regardless of our intelligence and not wanting to be scammed?

I wondered why I was worried when he rode round the corner with my bike!

1) How is he making money calling the USA? What companies are paying him?

2) It might be hard to nail him. If I were moving I would go to another country. He would probably visit another Latin American country next for the Spanish. Already he's proven unable to support oneself outside the expat community so Chile I would expect to be the the number one place, though laws there are harder to hide in than here. We should contact the various Spanish expat community websites and ask them to put a mugshot as a sticky in the newcomers forum.

3) A long term solution? Pay them off?:
http://m.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/2001/12/hoffman.htm
http://www.spiegel.de/international...rogram-saved-a-namibian-village-a-642310.html
But that costs and I'm cheap.

Don't let this colour your trust in the expat community. I think it's best to chalk it up to experience but not let it effect you so much as to withdraw from opportunities and so on. One of my life's goals is doing some kind of business with someone I trust and this kind of thing makes it very difficult for the rest of us.

For the people who stood by and let this happen. This only reinforces my thoughts on human nature and crime. That is, the world is mostly a very safe place and people are very trusting. When in London a taxi driver told me how he'd just witnessed someone breaking into a van. But he wouldn't report it "Don't want to get involved". Well, that's your duty. Same with my girlfriend's apartment break-in "Don't want to get the doorman in trouble" - thus the same criminal strikes all your neighbours, the police don't have the data and nobody is talking to anyone, it's pathetic. Have some backbone people.

I met this guy about a month and a half ago in my friend's Irish bar here in Córdoba. I spoke with him for a while, he asked if I wanted to work in his Call Centre - I politely declined - and he just seemed like a normal guy. I had completely forgotten about him until the friend who I was with that night brought this thread to my attention. Half of his bald head appears in a couple of the photos of that night, but they're not particularly clear. It’s definitely him though.

I talked with the bar owner, and he said that this Mike/Bill guy (he was going by Mike here) had been in a few times since then, and had wanted to make some sort of business proposal, which my friend also politely declined. He said that the last time he saw him was last week, when ‘Mike’ tried giving him 5 pesos when ordering a 45 peso whiskey in the hope that it would go unnoticed, and later left without paying his bill.

So he was certainly in Córdoba as recently as last week. But I’m guessing from the fact that he went without paying that he won’t be back in the bar any time soon, and he may well have skipped town by now.

The facebook photo of him that was posted on this thread has been forwarded to hostels and bars in Córdoba and beyond, so hopefully someone will recognize him in time. I’m sure it’ll all catch up with him sooner rather than later. I wish I had known a couple of weeks ago, as I doubt I’ll be seeing him again anytime soon.

FYI- there is a new looking Call South office I just noticed here in Santiago, Chile, while walking down Avenida Providencia. Same crook?

YanquiGallego said:
FYI- there is a new looking Call South office I just noticed here in Santiago, Chile, while walking down Avenida Providencia. Same crook?

Check out the fotos of the suspect in this thread and walk in and see....then let us know!

Same location described above, looks like a reputable biz. Not like the other crappy website they had here.

Sockhopper said:
According to results of studies produced in 1995, only 5% of the population isn’t driven to trust others, including complete strangers.

Who says that trust is wrong? There is not only risk, but there are also opportunities in working with strangers. Moreover, you can reduce risk, by minimising your dependence and by discouraging breaking trust.

If he fools you, you should get after him, so it costs him more than what you have exposed yourself to. I cannot imagine that being on the run is better than not being paid, unless indeed you were too trusting, but then you should have asked your money sooner.

Looking at the link you posted, I think you should contact Colorado Department of Law, that´s the first interested in this case. Sorry about my poor English, I should practice even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back