Residencia Permanente In 2 Week Visit? Is It Even Possible?

sam3g

Registered
This topic has been broached many, many times but I cannot seem to find the answer to my particular circumstance is this forum.
If there is another thread with this information please forgive this repost.

My beautiful wife and I are currently married in the US and will be returning to Argentina around December-March. We are planning on getting married in Bs. As. Province via civil ceremony and while I am there I would like to apply and receive permanent residency.

Is it possible to marry an Argentine Citizen and receive permanent residency in a span of two weeks?

I realize I will have to plan very carefully to meet this tight timeline.

My assumption is that the process is similar to my temporary work DNI (now expired)
  • Antecedentes Penales
  • Certificado de Domicilio
  • Fotos
  • Certificado de Nacimiento with US Dept of State Apostille
  • All documents translated and certified
Questions:
  1. Is there an expiration for my US documents (background check, apostille, etc)?
  2. What can I do beforehand to lessen the burden?
  3. Am I missing anything?
  4. Is this even possible in 2 weeks?
I thank you all for your wisdom and patience!

Saludos,

Sam

I was ready to log on and say "no" out of hand. But you have a good plan in place. You would need your appointment in advance. My family was able to go from no legal status to permanent in a few days. We qualified as parents of an Argentine-born child. Our appt for the three of us was 3 1/2 hours. Our DNIs were issued the Tuesday March 5th 2013. after our residency appt on Friday March 1st 2013. It was about 20 days from our appt date to having them in hand.

So if you're very prepared--you might have everything approved in your residency appt. Many here are having long delays with approvals but that might not matter if you have an address for the document to be sent to. Keep in mind December January is heavy on the holidays. Many services are shut down in January as you no doubt know. It could also get a little tricky if you don't have everything for the appt. If you have to produce something else...you won't have much time.

Your FBI Background check will expire if you return to the US. Otherwise you have a fair bit of flexibility in terms of validity. It takes many weeks for processing your background check without a chaneller. I don't know the current status of having a completed background check in hand when you leave the US...I sent mine to FBI a few weeks before I left the US so it would be dated after the date that I had left the States...por las dudas. Others can comment on that. There are some who were might have thoughts on the process through marriage. It's quite similar to that of having a child, but could be some unique items. Such as how long to get the fully legalized marriage cert. On the spot? Can you rush it?

Apostilled documents otherwise do not expire. Just the background. The RNR background check you can have completed same day. It's been 100 pesos for the 24 hour turn around for some time. Then you print your document from the RNR website. Some offices require appts for this tramite.

Once you get this all done and have your Permanent DNI...if interested...you can get citizenship. That will have to wait until you're spending a larger chunk of time in Argentina. They do a house visit and you'll have to present yourself on a least a two or three times at the court. Bonus note: If your wife is also an Italian citizen (quite common)--you will be eligible for an Italian passport three years (six months if living in Italy) from marriage and then about two years for processing your application.

Your FBI Background check will expire if you return to the US. Otherwise you have a fair bit of flexibility in terms of validity. It takes many weeks for processing your background check without a chaneller. I don't know the current status of having a completed background check in hand when you leave the US...I sent mine to FBI a few weeks before I left the US so it would be dated after the date that I had left the States...por las dudas.

Thank you for the detailed info! What you mentioned about the FBI background check I hadn't thought about. Would they accept an FBI background check dated before I arrive in Argentina? I could theoretically commit a serious crime in the time between receiving the check and leaving the US.

I think the only problem might be in the processing time. For example I submitted all my paperwork and didnt find out for 2 months that they required some change in my work contract. I just dont think they review all the docs in such a short amount of time.

Why are you getting married twice - in the U.S. AND Argentina? Just curious.

You have to wait for the actual DNI, but you usually get a Precaria on the spot.

I vaguely remember reading posts about other expats who were getting married to an Argentine and the first question that comes to mind is , "Can you even get married in Argentina in two weeks, let alone apply for and receive permanent residency based on marriage in two weeks?"

If the US marriage certificate is sufficient for migraciones (to "prove" you are married o an Argentine citizen), then it should receive the Apostille from the Secretary of State in which you were married and be translated and legalized in Argentina.

Unless it is included in the list of documents required for permanent residency, you won't need your birth certificate. If you do it should receive the Apostille from the Secretary of State in which you were born, not the US Department of State.

Also, check the list on the migraciones website to see if you need to present photocopies of all pages of your passport. This is how they determine where you have been living for the past three years and from what country/countries you need "police" reports.

PS: Like El Cordobes, " I don't know the current status of having a completed background check in hand when you leave the US."

Thank you for the detailed info! What you mentioned about the FBI background check I hadn't thought about. Would they accept an FBI background check dated before I arrive in Argentina? I could theoretically commit a serious crime in the time between receiving the check and leaving the US.
The FBI check can be dated before you travel. I can't remember if its 60 or 90 days before.

Why are you getting married twice - in the U.S. AND Argentina? Just curious.

I suppose it is the romantic notion that we are invested in each other's countries. Certainly not for the tax benefits :lol:
Her family will also be able to attend this ceremony this time around.

Steve - great point about the US marriage. I was worried about having the ceremony immediately to be able to do all the bureaucratic paperwork. Perhaps a US marriage certificate would suffice!

The FBI check can be dated before you travel. I can't remember if its 60 or 90 days before.

I have read other posts that indicate the FBI report (which must be "authenticated" by the US State Dept.) expires in 60 days, and I would be sure to submit it (with the rest of your documents) to migraciones before that happens.

Back