Residencia Permanente In 2 Week Visit? Is It Even Possible?

They did not take my birth certificate when I applied for marriage residency, but this was back in 2013. They may have changed the requirements recently.

It's a good idea to have it anyway.

I know several people who recently have applied for perm residency and they weren't asked for it. So..as everything, your mileage may vary! But yes, good idea to have it.

This topic has been broached many, many times but I cannot seem to find the answer to my particular circumstance is this forum.
If there is another thread with this information please forgive this repost.

My beautiful wife and I are currently married in the US and will be returning to Argentina around December-March. We are planning on getting married in Bs. As. Province via civil ceremony and while I am there I would like to apply and receive permanent residency.

Is it possible to marry an Argentine Citizen and receive permanent residency in a span of two weeks?

I realize I will have to plan very carefully to meet this tight timeline.

My assumption is that the process is similar to my temporary work DNI (now expired)
  • Antecedentes Penales
  • Certificado de Domicilio
  • Fotos
  • Certificado de Nacimiento with US Dept of State Apostille
  • All documents translated and certified
Questions:
  1. Is there an expiration for my US documents (background check, apostille, etc)?
  2. What can I do beforehand to lessen the burden?
  3. Am I missing anything?
  4. Is this even possible in 2 weeks?
I thank you all for your wisdom and patience!

Saludos,

Sam

I got married to my argentine wife here via registro civil and it still took one trip to Uruguay and a full year to receive "radicaccion argentino"! Then, in true argentine style....another year to get my DNI....... LOL. EVERYTHING here takes longer....getting permanent residency is a process......and it takes ALOT of time. You need to learn some patience and also when and how to be assertive and more "confrontational" when necessary. Anyone who is prone to impatience, yet is also a very passive person will have a hard time living in Argentina...

I got married to my argentine wife here via registro civil and it still took one trip to Uruguay and a full year to receive "radicaccion argentino"! Then, in true argentine style....another year to get my DNI....... LOL. EVERYTHING here takes longer....getting permanent residency is a process......and it takes ALOT of time. You need to learn some patience and also when and how to be assertive and more "confrontational" when necessary. Anyone who is prone to impatience, yet is also a very passive person will have a hard time living in Argentina...

Either you did your permanent residency a good few years ago, or your experience is most uncommon.

It took me a couple of years to unhurriedly get my papers together, but once I had papers in hand, I made exactly 1 (one) trip to DNM, got a precaria on the spot, and had my DNI miss me at home less than a month later. Because I didn't alert OCA in time, I had to make an extra trip to pick the card up, but in general the process of getting residency was nothing at all to complain about.

Either you did your permanent residency a good few years ago, or your experience is most uncommon.

It took me a couple of years to unhurriedly get my papers together, but once I had papers in hand, I made exactly 1 (one) trip to DNM, got a precaria on the spot, and had my DNI miss me at home less than a month later. Because I didn't alert OCA in time, I had to make an extra trip to pick the card up, but in general the process of getting residency was nothing at all to complain about.

Well it was in 2007....besides I don't live in Buenos Aires either...so yes this was some years ago....

In 2007 getting a DNi was an entirely separate process from getting residency and it was a nightmare (especially since it was often necessary to go at four in the morning to a horribly depressing place get in line for a turno).

That being said, I got my DNI in early 2007 and I just happened to go on the right day. I had just received my precaria and I went to the registro to ask for a turno. I was told I could start the process right then and there. I actually had to dash back to my apartment to get my birth certificate (required at the time) and return the same day to get the ball rolling. After the two (it might have been three) hours I spent going form desk to desk in the bowels of the Registro, I was told to return in exactly 90 days. My DNI was waiting for me when I returned as ordered, but it took at least tow more hours to leave the building with it..

In 2007 getting a DNi was an entirely separate process from getting residency and it was a nightmare (especially since it was often necessary to go at four in the morning to a horribly depressing place get in line for a turno).

Don't remind me LOL....my 2 year old got his in 5 days.....

I recently transitioned to permanent residency (in February). I never had to show a birth certificate. Maybe it depends on what category you are getting residency under?

I recently transitioned to permanent residency (in February). I never had to show a birth certificate. Maybe it depends on what category you are getting residency under?

The birth certificate would certainly be required for permanent residency based on being the parent or offspring of an Argentine citizen but that may be the only reason.

The birth certificate is no longer on the list of documents required for temporary residency, but it might be "requested" from someone who has fled "oppression" in another country and has no passport. It would be interesting to know what would happen if they didn't have either.

It would also be interesting to know why anyone would seek "asylum" in Argentina, but that's a topic for another thread.

Back