Residency vs Citizenship: which should I get?

surfing said:
Is it certain that the tax liability on worldwide income is the same for permanent residents as citizens?

According to my Argentine accountant, the answer is yes.

Fortunately, I have no foreign assets...just a small income. I report it in Argentina and have done so for five years, including the first three when I had temporary residency and owned an apartment.

Thank you Steve! I was considering staying a permanent resident instead of becoming a citizen but if the tax implications are identical I will go for the citizenship which I will be eligible for in a little over a year.

I had a consultation alike this one, so i did some research.
You are argentinian so you are not eligible for permanent residency.
This country has a dual system admiting blood and place of birth (Uis sanguinis and ius solis).
So, you just need to go to the argentinian consulate and being registered at the files. You just have to evidence that your mother is argentinian and you are recognized as argentinian as soon as you always been.
Regards

Can the consulate in LA issue an Argentine passport? If so, the OP will have exactly what she desires: the ability to enter Argentina and just live here.

Attorney Rubilar (Bajo_cero2) knows his stuff. And when he doesn't, he does the research so that he knows the law when he makes a statement. He's very thorough. And he's hard working to boot.

Just saying.

steveinbsas said:
Can the consulate in LA issue an Argentine passport? If so, the OP will have exactly what she desires: the ability to enter Argentina and just live here.

Yes, they can.

That's just perfect!! I think I will just go for citizenship then. I'm scared about how long it will take though. I heard it can take up to one year to get the passport and DNI and I want to go to Argentina as soon as possible.

If the passport and DNI do take up to one year, do you think it's possible for me to just obtain citizenship (as in a piece of paper), go to Argentina, start my life and then try to obtain the DNI and passport once I'm there and travel on my American passport (turista 90 días)? I don't mind hopping on a boat to Uruguay every 90 days if it means I can get my life moving faster... If I travel on my American passport they shouldn't know I'm an Argentine citizen (because I hear you can't leave the country as an Argentine citizen without an Argentine passport)...

By the way: thank you so much for all your advice everyone, what a great group we have here. :)

mmmmmmm, not sure but it supouse to be very simple because the Consul should notarize you on the records and that s it. He should give you birth certificate or carta de ciudadania. Then you can apply for DNI and after for passport here. Once you are here you don t need to go to Uruguay because YOU ARE ARGENTINIAN. Regards

By the way, I am a US citizen. My wife is Argentine. My son received his DNI in five weeks after applying. I received mine in seven. We are now both permanent residents eligible for citizenship in less than two years. The process is quite speedy if your mother is Argentine.

I heard it can take up to one year to get the passport and DNI and I want to go to Argentina as soon as possible.

My wife is Argentine. It took my son five weeks to receive his DNI after applying and it took me seven weeks to receive mine. The process is accelerated for children of citizens. On the other hand, I have a German friend who applied for a DNI seven months ago...he is still waiting.

Back