Residency vs Citizenship: which should I get?

No I'm in the U.S. right now, living in Los Angeles. I've had this idea about moving to Argentina ever since last January but never actually decided to do anything about it until now, so I want to get over there! :)

I've been trying to get a hold of what papers/documents/forms I need to go apply for citizenship and how to make an appointment with them. Every time I call them someone answers, they transfer me to someone, and it goes to their voicemail. I leave a message, and no one ever gets back to me. I've sent a couple e-mails too and no one writes back! I have no idea what to do apart from knocking on their door haha. Their website doesn't work either. Is this the typical of the Argentina I'm going to have to put up with for the next couple years? :) lol...

la vie est belle said:
No I'm in the U.S. right now, living in Los Angeles. I've had this idea about moving to Argentina ever since last January but never actually decided to do anything about it until now, so I want to get over there! :)

I've been trying to get a hold of what papers/documents/forms I need to go apply for citizenship and how to make an appointment with them. Every time I call them someone answers, they transfer me to someone, and it goes to their voicemail. I leave a message, and no one ever gets back to me. I've sent a couple e-mails too and no one writes back! I have no idea what to do apart from knocking on their door haha. Their website doesn't work either. Is this the typical of the Argentina I'm going to have to put up with for the next couple years? :) lol...

As Bajo_cero2 wrote in his last post (though he wasn't absolutely certain), "the Consul should notarize you on the records and that's it. He should give you birth certificate or carta de ciudadania. Then you can apply for DNI and after for passport here. Once you are here you don t need to go to Uruguay because YOU ARE ARGENTINIAN."

He also indicated the consulate might be able to issue your Argentine passport as well. I suggest you go there in person with your mother's birth certificate, DNI, and Argentine passport as well as your birth certificate (and probably) your US passport. As long as your mother's name is the same on her birth certificate and or DNI and Argentine passport I don't think her current name will matter.

I just got my birth certificate apostilled so I should be good on that front.

On my birth certificate, next to my mother's (changed) name and where she signed it says: "Country of birth: Argentina" I'm assuming I'll also need to bring her American passport (which says her country of birth), expired Argentine passport and DNI from when she was 5 years old, and her birth certificate. I wonder if I'll need to bring her as well? lol... she really wants nothing to do with this!

I just need to figure out how to make an appointment now! I'll update my progress here or any issues I run into for any future readers in my situation.

Anyone who's ever applied for citizenship through descent or who has had to deal with the L.A. consulate have any advice/words of wisdom? Because as of now despite all of my efforts I cannot get any of my questions answered from them!

Hi La Vie,

I'm mid this whole process also, but in NY. Not sure if you know this requirement, but the name on your mother's birth certificate must be written exactly as her name is written on your birth certificate. For me, this is adding weeks to my experience as my father's name is in English on my birth certificate. So, before even bringing all my docs to the consulate I have to apply to the Bureau of Vital Records for a "correction" of my birth certificate. I need to have my father's birth certificate translated also, which is gonna add around $100 to my expenses. Argh.

When you have all your docs ready, you go to the consulate and they set a date for you to come back to make it official. I was told you have to read some Spanish and I guess there is some swearing of allegiance to the country (not exactly sure). I think the lady at the consulate told me a few weeks ago that the dates for these were in January. So, plan for a 3 - 4 month lag (unless the situation is different in LA).

Hope some of this info is helpful to you.

sab15

Should I have to pay tax here on my Social Security? Surely not --- :eek:
If so, how would one even go about doing such a thing?

steveinbsas said:
If you have been in Argentina for more than a year you can apply for citizenship now.

If' if you are a permanent resident but haven't been working in Argentina and don't own property you may be flying under the radar. Becoming a citizen would probably change change that.

Even if you don't apply for citizenship and simply maintain your status as a permanent resident there is also the possibility that AFIP might someday demand tax payments for (up to) the past five years...plus interest and penalties at staggering rates (about 30% per anum).

Before anyone says that I am just trying to scare you, I only have one thing to say:

"Be afraid, be very afraid."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BTPOlbW-Cc

Of course I forgot to add that the Argentine government has full knowledge of my social security pension and exactly how much I receive each moth; that's how I got permanent residency in the first place. Not one person or document ever suggested that I needed to file an income tax return on this income. I am so confused!

Back