Resident flight prices

LaurenW

Registered
I'm trying to go to Mendoza in March and it is only 650 pesos for residents vs. $450 for foreigners. Don't have a DNI and really want the lower price.

If I check-in online and don't check a bag, what are the chances that I get kept from boarding? Or do they just make you pay the difference?

Thanks

Edit: talking about LAN here but aerolineas has similar prices and policies

Have you tried going into a local travel agent? That's how I did El Calafate and Iguazu. Granted I didn't get the price a local does, but I also paid a lot less than when i looked to buy online myself.

Otherwise, I'd say just try the way you were thinking, I think the worst thing they would do is make you pay the difference at the airport if you were caught.

My wife's cousin got the resident price when going to Tierra del Fuego, and when the airlines found out, they alerted the local authorities, and he was not allowed to leave for 6 months until he finished the paperwork to become a resident in Tierra del Fuego. If he wanted to leave before that he would have had to a fine of 5000 pesos.

They take those prices very seriously here.

Your best bet is to try a travel agent. I would not try to 'illegally' get a cheaper ticket (by the way, 650 is crazy cheap, even once taxes added! I paid nearly twice that granted was not buying much in advance)

It sucks but the airlines are subsidized and/or owned by the government so fair enough citizens who pay taxes get a break. I wish Canada did the same instead of having air travel within the country extremely expensive (compared to the US or Europe).

I know that others have posted that they "got away" with paying the resident fare even though they did not have the DNI, but given the last post, perhaps it isn't worth taking the risk.

You might be OK if you don't check a bag, but are you willing to take the risk?

I suggest you pay the nonresident fare...

Especially if you are not likely to become a resident in the next six months,

I am one who ¨got away¨ flying on the resident price recently - return to Tucuman in December out of Aeroparque. I did my check in online, printed 2 copies of my boarding pass and obviously didnt check in any bags.

At Tucuman, my flight was actually delayed and when I went to investigate at the check in counter (silly in hindsight) the girl actually asked for my passport and tagged my carry on luggage. However, no issues.

There is an obvious risk, however personally (and I have done this 3 times now, all on flights to Tucuman) I havent had any issues. I cant comment though on processes at other airports excluding Aeroparque and Tuc.

LaurenW said:
I'm trying to go to Mendoza in March and it is only 650 pesos for residents vs. $450 for foreigners. Don't have a DNI and really want the lower price.
If cost is an issue, you may consider a Cama Suite/Salon Suite/Primera Clase nightbus. Seats are (almost) real beds, horizontal. I have used it a couple of times.

The cost is AR$ 525 one way and you find it here: http://www.plataforma10.com/

TheBlackHand said:
Good, the thought of breaking the law and committing fraud in a foreign country should make any law abiding citizen frightened.

Very true! No matter how silly the law is!
The government is always there to screw you, no matter you're a foreigner or local.

On the other hand, do airlines implement the same law that requires giving those Provincias resident a cheaper price than the Portenos? If not, are they violating the same law and can anyone sue them?

Back