Resident flight prices

The difference in price is so significant that it's hard to not think that tourists and others aren't being taken for a ride! (pun intented!) :p
650 pesos vs 450 dollars is quite the difference.

How about everyone just pay their fair share? There are certainly plenty of Argentines who can afford to travel (especially those that do), so if the government wants to subsidize travel, it could be done at the individual level for those who truly need help instead of openly taking advantage of foreigners. ;)

This has been discussed many times here before. If I remember correctly, the subsidy is for 20% of seats of any national flight. Meaning, even those with DNI can end up paying the full market fare after the lower fare seats have been sold. Ie. a DNI is no guarantee one will get the lower fare.

I love reading how people rationalize their own criminal proclivities by attacking a government for giving it's own citizens and residents subsidies to help stimulate it's own economy. It's such blatant self serving bullshit, it's actually kinda funny.

-facepalm

Not saying I don't believe your story about " forgetting " that resident prices only apply to residents but whenever you buy a resident airline ticket from LAN.com this message pops up before you confirm the purchase :

http://i.imgur.com/QEfZn.jpg

If you purchased it anyway, you weren't really being honest with LAN to begin with. Even if it was by mistake. And mistake or not, it was fraud. People usually don't get refunds when they are caught committing fraud against a company.

Don said:
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/18614-ladrones-lan-help.html[/url]

We are STILL waiting for our case to be settled.

TheBlackHand said:
Not saying I don't believe your story about " forgetting " that resident prices only apply to residents but whenever you buy a resident airline ticket from LAN.com this message pops up before you confirm the purchase :

http://i.imgur.com/QEfZn.jpg

If you purchased it anyway, you weren't really being honest with LAN to begin with. Even if it was by mistake. And mistake or not, it was fraud. People usually don't get refunds when they are caught committing fraud against a company.

We did it quickly. Click click click without paying attention. I already said it was dumb. And as I wrote, they first told us that we could try to make a case for the refund and/or be able to pay the overage. Sorry you never learned how to read. For the record, I don't and have never had an issue with having to pay non-resident fees. LAN was wrong and the Asociación Nacional de Aviación Civil agrees.

Oh hey, aren't you the not-at-all-helpful prick who jumped in at the end of a thread a while back to conclude that I was unattractive for being uncomfortable when I was naked and an X-ray tech I was alone in the clinic with began calling me linda and asking me if I had a boyfriend? And now you're getting on me about my LAN case? I remember you. Spending lots of time on the internet, just to bully people who have unpleasant experiences! What a loser. I'm off this site as soon as someone buys the last of my boyfriend's damn Colombian coffee. Sheesh.

09-09-2011, 06:04 AM
TheBlackHand
Veteran

Haha. That rad tech is my hero. He probably thought you were unattractive and was just being complimentary to be polite. It's part of the culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tMindMe
Got a heart problem diagnosed, and during that process, had to get an x-ray. Standing topless with a little radiation-blocking vest that hid nothing, arms in the air, the male tech called me linda and started asking if I had a boyfriend. I'm used to that stuff on the street, out at night and even when I'm working from time to time, but alone in a dark room, topless? I gritted my teeth, told him that yes I did have a boyfriend, and didn't say anything else. Sometimes I'm just not sure where people draw the line here.

starlucia said:
Eh, state residents can attend public universities for a third of the price that non-residents pay. I don't think the two-tiered air prices are such a far cry from that.

Every state has a state university so you don't have to leave your state unless you choose to. If you go to the state university in your state you pay the lowest fees. I don't see the relationship to air travel.

As for the "discount", I don't really think it is a discount. When the Teatro Colon started charging different rates for non-residents they just DOUBLED the normal price. They then said that residents had a discount. It was not true. The policy did not work and they dropped it after a year.

Well, for anyone interested here's a loooong discussion (in spanish) about the resident vs. non-resident fares on a local aviation forum. Lots of arguments, views, and interpretations whether the practice is legal or not under current consumer laws and the AR constitution articles that establish equality between nationals and foreigners. blah.. blah blah... :)

There are similar arrangemts for resident discounts for residents of the Spanish islands (Balearics and Canaries)

Back