Resident flight prices

puvenlee said:
Very true! No matter how silly the law is!
The government is always there to screw you, no matter you're a foreigner or local.

On the other hand, do airlines implement the same law that requires giving those Provincias resident a cheaper price than the Portenos? If not, are they violating the same law and can anyone sue them?

Its actually not the silly of a law if you think about it. The average Argentine could never afford to travel by plane within the country without the subsidies. This is one of the few Argentine quirks that I actually agree with. There are a lot of deserving people who benefit from this measure.

In answer to your question, I am not sure, but I think that is the case sometimes. My wife's cousin (mention in my post above) is from Capital and he got in trouble for paying the resident price as if he lived in Tierra del Fuego.

Ahem. I once tried to be a good, honest person when dealing with LAN and resident/non-resident fares. Here's what happened:

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/18614-ladrones-lan-help.html

We are STILL waiting for our case to be settled.

ETA: Mendoza is only a 12-hour bus ride. That's pretty damn short compared to a lot of other trips you could take. I'd take the bus and save my pesos for a flight to Bariloche or Salta or somewhere further away if I were you.

One question to all: what is a definition for residency?
In a broader sense : a work visa / student visa, etc all suffice a definition of temporary residency. Am I right?

puvenlee said:
In a broader sense : a work visa / student visa, etc all suffice a definition of temporary residency. Am I right?
residency for the purposes of the subsidized flights is defined as having a DNI. With the DNI you are eligible. Without an unexpired DNI, you pay full fare.
To be eligible to acquire a DNI, you need a immigrant visa such as; student, work, rentista, financier, investor, or permanent.

puvenlee said:

I have gotten the residency price. I am on a rentista visa. And anyone that is on a visa for longer than the tourist visa i think are classed as temp residents - so student/retirement/work etc.
What i had to do though was go to the aerolinas office with my passport.
I took a printout of the flight info/price from the web.
I have also put in my passport number where it says DNI, and it came up with an error and reference number which i then used to book with the aerolinas office and paid with my NZ credit card.
I also had to pay an extra 20 pesos to purchase at office.
You cant book/pay online without a DNI.
I have also used my rentista visa to get the same rate (usually 50% less) as argentines to enter national parks etc.

Imagine the reaction if the US were to impose a reciprocity fee on non residents so that Argentine visitors and others had to pay a radically higher fare for domestic air travel! I think even most US citizens would consider that unfair.

chris said:
Imagine the reaction if the US were to impose a reciprocity fee on non residents so that Argentine visitors and others had to pay a radically higher fare for domestic air travel! I think even most US citizens would consider that unfair.

When the gov has to pay US$2,000,000 per day to keep an airline in the air as is the case with aerolinas argentina, maybe the way to get support from people is to give them cheap fares !!!

http://en.mercopress.com/2012/02/03...-government-support-of-over-2-million-dollars

chris said:

Eh, state residents can attend public universities for a third of the price that non-residents pay. I don't think the two-tiered air prices are such a far cry from that.

chris said:

First, the US is not representative of the way the rest of the world organises things and whilst there are cheap(er) air fares in certain hot spots like Europe and Oz, lots of other places give pretty expensive domestic air travel. Second, visitors to Argentina are not being penalised by a surcharge on the 'right' fare (whatever that may be) but bona fide residents are benefiting from a subsidy - much as all residents have benefited in the past from what are clear subsidies on the true cost of domestic energy.

elhombresinnombre said:
First, the US is not representative of the way the rest of the world organises things and whilst there are cheap(er) air fares in certain hot spots like Europe and Oz, lots of other places give pretty expensive domestic air travel. Second, visitors to Argentina are not being penalised by a surcharge on the 'right' fare (whatever that may be) but bona fide residents are benefiting from a subsidy - much as all residents have benefited in the past from what are clear subsidies on the true cost of domestic energy.
Precisely.

People without a DNI pay "the 'right' fare" which is the IATA fare, while people with a DNI buy tickets at a price subsidized by taxes paid in Argentina.

(IATA = International Air Transport Association)

Back