Restaurant Prices

Thank you! So if my calculations are correct, 1600 Urugyan pesos for dinner for 2 at midrange restaurant. Does that include wine/app or ??? (just curious). But if 1600 = 390 ARS, that would be more expensive than here on average for a mid range restaurant.

Interesting. Are wages higher in Montevideo?

Wages are higher in Buenos Aires, the problem of the prices in Uruguay is that they depend a lot on Argentine imported products and the same for services, and the other factor that affect specially Punta del Este is that some of the people with money in Buenos Aires take vacation there making price go up.

Wages are higher in Buenos Aires, the problem of the prices in Uruguay is that they depend a lot on Argentine imported products and the same for services, and the other factor that affect specially Punta del Este is that some of the people with money in Buenos Aires take vacation there making price go up.
Are you sure wages are higher in buenos aires than in Montevideo. That seems hard to believe considering the unrestricted plunge in the ARS value over the last year.

2 year plot uyu usd
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=USDUYU=X&t=2y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

2 year plot ARSusd ( see the blue line)
http://dolarblue.net/historico/

However if you dine at Tomo I or an exclusive resto in BA $270 pesos seems realistic (US42,50 x 6.3) . There is no official rate only the Blue market.

Tomo I is rather like 600/700 pesos per person for a dinner (as of january 2012 = last time I went there). For the same price, better go to Le Sud btw (clearly better).

That's a good thing about BA = fancy restaurants are still cheap compared to Paris, NYC or such.

Uruguay does not subsidize or regulate food prices and utilities, Argentina does. Therefore, Uruguay has much higher food and utility prices. I went there two years ago, and we tried to eat cheap, but everything was about twice as much as BsAs. However, I must say the quality was excellent--even the yogurt was better!

bife chorizo and stuffed spuds 440UYU,Milanesa and chips 155UYU....high street Colonia yesterday.Like anywhere you can pay much more or less depending on how pretentious you are?I's an egg and chips bloke.

Back