Restaurant Recommendation wanted.

PhilipDT

Registered
Since I had such a great experience at the last expat recommended place (thanks to French Jurist for talking up le sud, fantastic!), I'm back for more recommendation.

Looking For:

-Centric more or less, let say between libratador, pueyredon-jujuy, garay.
-Exceptional food quality. This is pretty much the most important
-Creative dishes.
-Reasonable mark ups on wine.
-Open on a sunday.

Gracias!

I am also interested and would also like to join à expat group that goes to more exotic restaurants

PhilipDT said:
Since I had such a great experience at the last expat recommended place (thanks to French Jurist for talking up le sud, fantastic!), I'm back for more recommendation.

Looking For:

-Centric more or less, let say between libratador, pueyredon-jujuy, garay.
-Exceptional food quality. This is pretty much the most important
-Creative dishes.
-Reasonable mark ups on wine.
-Open on a sunday.

Gracias!

I'm very sorry to inform you that there aren't any good restaurants in Argentina let alone in BA, for that the nearest town in the region is at the north of this continent, precisely in the U.S. of A and that is unfortunately the closest and only town from here.
Over there you are going to find good service, good unsurpassed creative food and superb quality and of course very reasonable priced as well, so forget trying to find something similar down here, you won't be lucky enough to such extent, if you don't believe me please just read the other expatriate post and you will find out what I mean....sorry to be so blunt but that's the reality....have a nice day.

De nada!

-Le Sud is a pricey hotel restaurant . Accordingly, with no regard to expense you might consider Tomo 1 atop the Panamerican hotel. It is considered by many as BA's best restaurant.
-Marcelo or Sottovoce in Puerto Madero ( Italian)
-Pura Tierra is not centrally located (its in Belgrano), but cabs in BA are inexpensive especially for anyone willing to dine at Le Sud. It's not nearly as expensive but quite good.
-For parilla in an upscale ambiance there's Mirasol de la Recova.
-For good parrilla at ordinary prices, Pena Parrilla on Rodriguez Pena near Viamonte. In addition to the typical parrilla they have the best tiramisu I have ever eaten (caveat: 1 portion serves 3)
-Espanol on Alsina @ Solis. A true family place with an old fashioned extensive menu. One of the few places that offers a nice moules marinières.
-La Famiglia in the 400 block of Salta. As the name implies a family place. Excellent fish and pastas.
-"1880" in the 1600 block of Av Defensa - my favorite parrilla. Worth the ride to San Telmo.
-Vasco Frances on Moreno. Excellent paella and seafood/mariscos cazuela. 20% discount with cash at lunch or at all times with tarjeta de La Nacion.
See www.guiaoleo.com.ar for ratings, reviews, contact info etc

Reactions: jb5
Hi, the above list contains a few "average" restaurants (i have tried them all- most are terrible tourist traps, others merely just average food and overpriced). The only restaurant I can really recommend in the whole of BA is Chez Nous in the Algodon hotel in Recoleta. Service is impeccable and the food an presentation are amazing. The tasting menu really is the best dining experience I have had in this country. PERIOD

Hi Philip,

I highly recommend Sottovoce. It became our favorite restaurant
during our 3 month stay. The pastas, in particular, are magnificent.
The wine list is very good, some markups are high but lots of
nice bottles under $200, some under $100. Right down from
the Alvear Palace Hotel on Liberatador. Reservations essential.

Barry

takeoverba said:
Hi, the above list contains a few "average" restaurants (i have tried them all- most are terrible tourist traps, others merely just average food and overpriced). The only restaurant I can really recommend in the whole of BA is Chez Nous in the Algodon hotel in Recoleta. Service is impeccable and the food an presentation are amazing. The tasting menu really is the best dining experience I have had in this country. PERIOD

Welcome to BAexpats. For a newbie, you sure come on like gangbusters. Unfortunately for you, anyone with even the slightest familiarity with the restaurants in my post above would know they are anything but tourist traps. You are obviously incredibly ignorant or a troll. Oh well. It takes all kinds.
For the more serious minded, here's a review I wrote on your favorite restaurant which is located around the corner from where I live. Of course, the prices are probably siginificantly higher now than they were back in Oct. 2010 when we dined there. What was the cost of the menu de gustacion when you last ate there TOBA?
------------------------------------------------------------------

Chez nous, the restaurant in the recently opened Algodon Hotel Mansion in the Recoleta (Montevideo 1647), is the newest entry in the ultra fine dining genre. The hotel is owned by a conglomerate that also owns a bodega of the same name in Mendoza, but chef Antonio Soriano has worked in Michelin 2 and 3 star restaurants in Paris. His food reflects that pedigree, but at 285 pesos for the menu de gustacion (w/o wine), frankly, I expected better. A couple of preliminary observations raised suspicions that the restaurant is a work in progrees.

The dining room is simply, but pleasantly decorated. I would have expected to see a bouquet of flowers and or flowers on the table. None were present. The recorded music was way too loud when we entered and I had to ask that it be lowered a lot. When the wine list was presented to me the waitress advised no malbecs from the host winery were available. Late shipment or something or other. Hello?

I was somewhat surprised to see that all the servers were young women -not typical for haute cuisine establishments especially in BA. Our servers were competent, but not as polished as I would expect in a place where the main courses, portioned for one, cost more than 100 pesos.

We ordered one menu de gustacion and a main of duck breast (about 110 pesos). The amuse bouche was a scrumptious large prawn on a bed of creamy sauce the exact nature of which now slips my mind. Not all that followed was as good. The goat cheese tart appetizer was a disappointment - it seemy rubbery. The rabbit pate was unexceptional. The mahi mahi was excellent. The lamb was very good, but not sauced as I would have expected. The duck breast, served rarer than I have had it before, seemed awfully tough and not as well sauced as I expected.. I did not enjoy it. A chocolate dessert concoction consisting of several consistencies recommended by our server was excellent, but lets face it - is chocolate ever really bad?

We shared 3 glasses of house wine (28 per). With tip the tab came to 500 pesos for the two of us. I left feeling not at all 'stuffed." On the contrary, I think I ate a Vauquita Light upon arriving home.

I'll give Chez nous another chance, but I'll wait a while before returning.

Buenos Aires Verde is the best restaurant in Palermo. The food is clean, healthy and gourmet. Try the desserts, they are so good. It's on Gorriti 5657,off of Fitz Roy. Google the exact address. I love this place. And it's cheap, compared to all the other restaurants in Palermo.

My favourite onel: SARKIS, armenian food beautifully prepared and at reasonable prices. Thames 1101 4772-4911

Back