Restaurant Recommendation wanted.

salgueiro said:
-Le Sud is a pricey hotel restaurant . Accordingly, with no regard to expense you might consider Tomo 1 atop the Panamerican hotel. It is considered by many as BA's best restaurant.
-Marcelo or Sottovoce in Puerto Madero ( Italian)
-Pura Tierra is not centrally located (its in Belgrano), but cabs in BA are inexpensive especially for anyone willing to dine at Le Sud. It's not nearly as expensive but quite good.
-For parilla in an upscale ambiance there's Mirasol de la Recova.
-For good parrilla at ordinary prices, Pena Parrilla on Rodriguez Pena near Viamonte. In addition to the typical parrilla they have the best tiramisu I have ever eaten (caveat: 1 portion serves 3)
-Espanol on Alsina @ Solis. A true family place with an old fashioned extensive menu. One of the few places that offers a nice moules marinières.
-La Famiglia in the 400 block of Salta. As the name implies a family place. Excellent fish and pastas.
-"1880" in the 1600 block of Av Defensa - my favorite parrilla. Worth the ride to San Telmo.
-Vasco Frances on Moreno. Excellent paella and seafood/mariscos cazuela. 20% discount with cash at lunch or at all times with tarjeta de La Nacion.
See www.guiaoleo.com.ar for ratings, reviews, contact info etc
Thanks for the recommendations! I happen to be one of that "many" who consider TomoI the best restaurant.

Last sunday was a little complicated; lots of places were closed because of the election, or, maybe it was just a sunday night in the center.

We ended up going to chila and I experienced something really interesting. Inflation had made it a better restaurant! I remember when I went over a year ago I thought the food was fantastic but the prices were a bit above and beyond other high end BA restaurants. A year later the food was, if anything, better than last year and this year the same unchanged prices that seemed exorbitant last year, seemed much more inline with those of other restaurants of similar quality.

Great. I'll give it a try. After all I don't want to waste my $ in a tourist trap.:rolleyes:

salgueiro said:
-Le Sud is a pricey hotel restaurant . Accordingly, with no regard to expense you might consider Tomo 1 atop the Panamerican hotel. It is considered by many as BA's best restaurant.
-Marcelo or Sottovoce in Puerto Madero ( Italian)
-Pura Tierra is not centrally located (its in Belgrano), but cabs in BA are inexpensive especially for anyone willing to dine at Le Sud. It's not nearly as expensive but quite good.

I was unfortunate enough to go to Pura Tierra a few weeks ago as it turned out to be an awful dining experience. The majority of the table had the taster menu which was frankly inedible. We were lucky enough to have several food bloggers sat around the table and they were frankly shocked at the lack of quality and imagination that went into the food(not just the taster some ordered a la carte). The food was banal and tasteless. The worst taster menu to date. The groans around the table were "should have gone to Chez Nous instead"

Re Chez Nous post above. I have to agree with Takeoverba. Chez Nous is the best meal and overall dining experience I have had in Buenos Aires. Before the inevitable "first post" comments I am lucky enough to have eaten at the majority of the top restaurants in this city and Chez Nous still tops them all.

First post and you slam Pura Tierra without so much as describing a single dish. You wouldn't be a colleague or alter ego of takeoverBA by any chance? If so, and I suspect that is the case, it demonstrates that takeoverBA is not the kind of person I want to do business with. Incredible.

Back