Restaurants in Palermo

A little south of Newark in Hoboken, I spent 5 years there, many years ago (Stevens Tech,) the waterfront was then a bunch of derelict rundown sleazy hotels and bars. Hoboken was an Italian controlled enclave, birthplace of Frank Sinatra. Full of hole-in-the-wall, mom and pop, pizza places selling by the slice.
Today you find there some of the most expensive apts in Skyscrapers facing Midtown Manhattan.

I checked prices at Grille Resto Parilla in Hoboken, For $25 bucks you barely perhaps have a Ceasar salad or cheese omelette and a soda plus tax and tip.

You are correct about Hoboken's revitalisation. Also Jersey City is being gentrified. Given how very close these cities are to Manhattan and the excellent rapid transit available, it should be no surprise that they're being rapidly developed.

What exit?
I never lived there. I'm just a typical American (from Massachusetts) making fun of New Jersey. (Q. What are New Jersey's two largest cities? A. New York and Philadelphia)

The most extravagant wedding I ever attended was in Newark. It was opulent, over-the-top. An enormous room filled with appetizers. Then at dinner, every table was served at the same time. If you got up, someone rushed over to refold your napkin and place it on your seat. When we were finished, the appetizer room had converted into a dessert room. Truly amazing. I don't imagine that the divorce was as spectacular.

The other thing I remember about Newark was how afraid I was driving on the main roads there. I was a nervous wreck.

Oh, and banker, I finally got the courage to buy a bottle of Nampe Cabernet. Now I just need to get up the courage to try it.

I live in NJ today. Not in Newark though. But Newark is clearly getting nicer and likely will only improve over time. People want to live in or near NYC and need places close to public transportation. That’s how Hoboken gentrified. Used to live in Brooklyn and the same process happened there.

I’m not originally from Jersey so was a bit wary when we moved here years ago. Today I think it’s one of the best places in the US. Very nice 4 seasons, very nice outdoors close by, and the city next to you. Depending on where you live schools are great and even dining has improved (something true of much of the US)

I live in NJ today. Not in Newark though. But Newark is clearly getting nicer and likely will only improve over time. People want to live in or near NYC and need places close to public transportation. That’s how Hoboken gentrified. Used to live in Brooklyn and the same process happened there.

I’m not originally from Jersey so was a bit wary when we moved here years ago. Today I think it’s one of the best places in the US. Very nice 4 seasons, very nice outdoors close by, and the city next to you. Depending on where you live schools are great and even dining has improved (something true of much of the US)
I repeat my earlier post; "what exit?"

There must be some obscure reference I don't get, but my exit was 72 on I-95
It's the standing joke about Jersey and its turnpike to describe which portion of that state someone lives in. Exits 1-6 = South Jersey, exits (as I recall as I haven't used that road since 2001) 12 to its end (is it #18?) in North Jersey. I-95 joins the turnpike mid-state and continues thru NYC, northward.

I tried the Nampe Cabernet. Surprisingly good for such a low price US$1.62 a bottle (1900 pesos, 1200 pesos/dollar, at the moment), but I've had Los Haroldos wine before and liked it very much. I prefer Escorihuela Cabernet (locally available for US$3.42), but I picked up a couple more bottles of the Nampe this afternoon).

With all the prices going up so much these days, good wine is still a bargain.

It's the standing joke about Jersey and its turnpike to describe which portion of that state someone lives in. Exits 1-6 = South Jersey, exits (as I recall as I haven't used that road since 2001) 12 to its end (is it #18?) in North Jersey. I-95 joins the turnpike mid-state and continues thru NYC, northward.
Got it!
Mine then would be 8A (Cranbury)

I tried the Nampe Cabernet. Surprisingly good for such a low price US$1.62 a bottle (1900 pesos, 1200 pesos/dollar, at the moment), but I've had Los Haroldos wine before and liked it very much. I prefer Escorihuela Cabernet (locally available for US$3.42), but I picked up a couple more bottles of the Nampe this afternoon).

With all the prices going up so much these days, good wine is still a bargain.
Nampe has been out of stock at my local Chinese although it's price tag and empty space is still there. It's 1500 pesos. Today I saw Nampe Cabernet at a local Dia for 2300 pesos for 750ml and 2999 for 1125ml. Still reasonable but a sign of the times.

I believe Rich One is also a Nampe fan.

Back