Retiro locals 'market'

RuthB

Registered
We have lived in BA for 3 years, and are very soon moving....so i have lots of random stuff to give away.

I dont like giving things to the charities as i am never sure that my items get given to the people who really really need it

I have children's toys, bedding, clothes, kitchen ware, gardening tools etc etc.......nothing electronic- all that will be sold

So this is my question............

Would you go to the dodgy local street market behind Retiro to give away all of your stuff....???

Put everything on the floor......with a sign that says Gratis - take what you need..........

Im not worried about a dangerous situation, im not going to have my iPad flashing about, and i have never seen any violence there (there are no tourists).......

Would you do it???

Is there anyone who wants to do it with me??? !!!

My husband thinks that i am mad, and would/wouldnt do it with me. Sometimes i just think its good to give away to charity directly

Who else thinks im mad ????

Please give me your thoughts,

Thank you

Ruth

Good idea but I couldn't be bothered transporting it there to be honest. We just leave anything we no longer need yet is still of use to someone out in the street. It never stays there long.

You can safely donate to the Jewish organization TZEDAKA, on Serrano and Corrientes.

I have given clothes to TZEDAKA. They have an office on Santa Fe at Callao.
I give lots of things directly to cartoneros. I don't leave things at the dumpster, as my Recoleta neighbors will take them. Don't laugh.

if you leave it at retiro the vendors might grab it and make profit of it, so better donate to TZEDAKA

Many who leave the country decide to leave everything behind. They hire an organizer to run a one-day feria americana in the apartment from 10am to 5pm on Saturday or Sunday. Everything is sold by the end of the day. These organizers have large mailing lists so people are notified days in advance with a list and photos of everything available on their websites. http://www.smith-garcia.com/ www.mariamaranessi.com are two I know very well since I'm on the mailing lists and occasionally attend their weekend sales. You'll need to check with your consorcio for holding a sale in your apartment. The organizer has a guard at the door taking names and DNIs for security.

Another option is a call to the Salvation Army store that will pick up everything and take it to their location in Pompeya. 4911 7585 They'll ask what you have to donate and tell you when they'll come by for pickup with their truck.

I don't recommend going to Retiro and leaving all the stuff on the sidewalk. If you go near the villa, you'll have a swarm of people descending upon you and maybe even have your watch or purse stolen at the same time.

Last edited:
I have realized that every time I want to get rid of something that I don't use, there are always people among my friends and acquaintances who would like to accept them. It's a good idea to give away clothing and blankets at churches where Caritas collects donations for the poor.

Thank you everyone

So no-one is volunteering to come to Retiro with me....hmmmmmmm !!

Yes of course i will probably end up giving it to an organised charity when we move

But you know its the random stuff!

Thanks
Ruth

Back