Retiro Post Office Centre

RuthB

Registered
Why didnt anyone tell me that it would take me 3 1/2 hours to pick up a parcel .....??

I had heard the stories, but thought it couldnt really be that bad, could it ??

Anyway i had no choice last week, but to collect an urgent delivery of teabags from the UK

It was a 5 hour round trip, with 300+ people in line before me.........OMG !!

finally at 6pm that night, after kids were picked up from school an hour late, i drank the most amazing cup of tea... :)

Tea £10
postage from uk £18

motorway tolls $40
Parking $50
Customs tax $50
storage tax $10
Bottle of water $20

Total- An ARM AND A LEG

Not forgetting to mention the journey home............

I went the 'back' way through Retiro and past all of the lorries and containers....yes I know........the bit where there are no lanes and everyone drives like crazy

I had to stop at lights, and my car was clearly identified as having a single female in it, with a dirty windscreen !! So some guy started to clean the windscreen, and then so did his friend. I didnt have any money left after my day, so i shouted BASTA BASTA, NO TENGO DINERO 10 times...... the lights turned to green and 2 very sad men decided to lie across the bonnet of my car hanging onto the windscreen wipers. It was all in good spirit, but none the less, i still had no money, a dirty windscreen after it had been cleaned, and 2 men on my bonnet.

What would you do...?? yes i carried on driving...they both kind of slid off....into the 10 lanes of traffic that they had managed to single me out from

I love BA ;)

Once was enough for me. It was pouring with rain the day we went arriving soaked to the skin due to speeding traffic ploughing through puddles and soaking every poor sod including us walking on the pavement. On arrival I assumed we were at the wrong location as I imagined the queue outside had been formed by the poor looking for a handout....and who could blame me as they were all thoroughly miserable looking. After what seemed like days we were eventually allowed to enter the inner sanctum where we were met by an officious middle aged male sporting a Hitler type tash...he wouldn't have looked out of place in charge of Colditz I thought to myself. He demanded rather than asked for 600 pesos in return for the release of our parcel which he tantalizingly held in his hand just out of grabbing distance of me. I wanted to thump him one on the chin or at least give him a dose of verbal abuse in English but the wife suspecting I was about to blow a fuse had quickly handed over the cash before I had the chance.

Sadly I think that was the moment my opinion of this country changed for the worst. I'm dying to hear of peoples experiences with the new rules though. Good news is what I need to restore some faith in the place.

Why didnt anyone tell me that it would take me 3 1/2 hours to pick up a parcel .....??

I had heard the stories, but thought it couldnt really be that bad, could it ??

Anyway i had no choice last week, but to collect an urgent delivery of teabags from the UK

It was a 5 hour round trip, with 300+ people in line before me.........OMG !!

finally at 6pm that night, after kids were picked up from school an hour late, i drank the most amazing cup of tea... :)

Tea £10
postage from uk £18

motorway tolls $40
Parking $50
Customs tax $50
storage tax $10
Bottle of water $20

Total- An ARM AND A LEG

Not forgetting to mention the journey home............

I went the 'back' way through Retiro and past all of the lorries and containers....yes I know........the bit where there are no lanes and everyone drives like crazy

I had to stop at lights, and my car was clearly identified as having a single female in it, with a dirty windscreen !! So some guy started to clean the windscreen, and then so did his friend. I didnt have any money left after my day, so i shouted BASTA BASTA, NO TENGO DINERO 10 times...... the lights turned to green and 2 very sad men decided to lie across the bonnet of my car hanging onto the windscreen wipers. It was all in good spirit, but none the less, i still had no money, a dirty windscreen after it had been cleaned, and 2 men on my bonnet.

What would you do...?? yes i carried on driving...they both kind of slid off....into the 10 lanes of traffic that they had managed to single me out from

I love BA ;)

You might have offered them a cup of tea!

All that for a box of tea?

I recently tried TEA CONNECTION in Belgrano. They have a large variety of teas that you can try in their restaurants or purchase. www.teaconnection.com.ar

I'm about to order a supply of 85% dark organic chocolate bars from the USA that a friend will bring down for me in September. A UK friend brought chocolate for me in February.

All that for a box of tea?

I recently tried TEA CONNECTION in Belgrano. They have a large variety of teas that you can try in their restaurants or purchase. www.teaconnection.com.ar

I'm about to order a supply of 85% dark organic chocolate bars from the USA that a friend will bring down for me in September. A UK friend brought chocolate for me in February.

Tea connection has some good teas the only problem is they never seem to have refills in stock for the good flavors.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a connnoisseur of tea (or anything else), but 2 stores in Chinatown both have large selections of tea. Casa China on Arribenos, Chinatown's main drag and Tina, around the corner on Mendoza.

Back