Return To Ba/still Worthwhile?

Inflation is out of control, regardless what the government says. I buy almost nothing in BA, except food. Prices of everything in supermarkets is constantly rising.Also,many products have been discontinued, because people have eliminated them from their budgets

Anyone who comes to BA and gets paid in pesos is foolish. (That's the nicest word I could think of).Do you really think that this great humanitarian woman really cares about you? I wonder how many native English speaking people, who came to BA to teach English a still here?

I also think that BA is probably one of the most boring cities in the World. I have lived here for many years.Because I don't have a DNI I must le within every 90 day periods. I have visited 71 countries, probably over 50,since I moved here.

I think that the weather is great an there' no temptation to spend money foolishly.

As soon as I sell my apartment, I'm outta here. Either to Lisbon or Tbilisi .. .. .

.. . . . d
Greetings, fellow expats, I have not been here for a while. I have been exploring the "poor" European cities like Lisbon and Athens. I found the life is a lot easier in Southern Europe. Take Athens for example, real estate is half that of BA, food and other bills is half too. Average building expense in Athens is about 40 euro a month(Paris has no portero either, only BA has portero). property tax is about 6 euro times the size of your apartment (700 for a 100 m2 apartment, 900-1000 for better apartments). As a home owner, your financial burden is a lot less. The living standard is higher than of that Argentina. It makes sense to live in the poor Europe than living in the poor man's Europe(Argentina) now. But Argentina does have its uniqueness. I think argies are better looking and more passionate to foreign culture. Argentines like to know and hangout with expats.
There are so so so many expats live in Athens, they have so many things to do and they travel around Europe easily. There is no formal expat forum there, maybe there is no need to have one. I would say BsAs is still a especial place, I will always come back. But for long term living, right now it's not good. Looking back, I would say those expats who sold the apartments made the right decision. They do not have Argentine spouse, when things are not like what they imagined, they get the puck out of here :)

I have met a few Argentines in San Francisco, they are employed by US software companies. When Macri was just elected, they were very hopeful. Now they are still hopeful with Macri, but they said it's hell living in BsAs, and they are so happy to have American pay and get his families living in San Francisco Bay Area. They can't believe things can be so easy in US.

For this Old Man, the difference between Buenos Aires 8 to 12 years ago is like the difference between night and day. Old haunts have closed, from taxi fares to dining out, prices now make an evening out on the town a luxury. Buenos Aires is a very, very expensive place to visit and live. Does not seem that long ago when taxis drivers would not accept a 100 peso note for payment: Security risk. Seems like they start at 100 now. Like to think of Buenos Aires's Golden age for expats ended around 2011. Oh how a yearn for the days when I could exchange my yanqui dollars in the Blue and buy a first class airline ticket in pesos for a pittance. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

For this Old Man, the difference between Buenos Aires 8 to 12 years ago is like the difference between night and day. Old haunts have closed, from taxi fares to dining out, prices now make an evening out on the town a luxury. Buenos Aires is a very, very expensive place to visit and live. Does not seem that long ago when taxis drivers would not accept a 100 peso note for payment: Security risk. Seems like they start at 100 now. Like to think of Buenos Aires's Golden age for expats ended around 2011. Oh how a yearn for the days when I could exchange my yanqui dollars in the Blue and buy a first class airline ticket in pesos for a pittance. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
I can understand why Paris is expensive. But come on, the Paris of South America cant be as expensive as Paris. People other than Argentines can not accept that, they stop coming to Argentina. The only people here are Argentines.
Tourists are not fool, they know where to go. The airports at Bankok, Saigon, Athens are jam packed.If Macri wants to grow the economy, make the country cheap. Tourism is a great way to grow the economy, just look at Paris and Rome.

Macri is not responsible for the high prices in Buenos Aires, in my view. The syndicates, unions demand wages that have priced themselves right out of the market. Wages and benefits are over the top. Thirteen months wages for twelves months of work and a severance package to die for. Talk about a Golden Parachute. Have at it Argentina labor unions.

My take FWIW - lived there for 9 years, left last October.

Buenos Aires is a fantastic place to visit, not an easy place to live. Why don't you come for a visit to get a sense of the feel of the city now (because it has changed quite a bit since you left) and talk to your potential boss and negotiate some terms. Some quick thoughts:

1) If you're working en blanco, there is a lot of paperwork you/she needs to do to get you employed. That process would need to start now.
2) Since you're going to be paid in pesos, negotiate all the terms (COL adjustments, etc)
3) Your healthcare should be provided by your company if you're en blanco.
4) You need to figure out the housing situation. Apts are very expensive. Do you have a guarantor to rent at "local" (which still aren't cheap at all) prices? Lock that down. And understand that you'll have to furnish EVERYTHING in the apt, including appliances, etc. Doing that is very, very expensive although you can hit up moving sales from other expats, etc. If you're not and renting a furnished apt, look at prices and go back to item 1 to make sure your salary covers that.

FWIW, we had no intention of leaving Argentina but I can't say I regret that we did. We call the US "Disney World" because everything is so damn easy here.

City girl- thanks for the input. I will most likely go for a visit prior to making the big move, should I choose to make it. Regarding the fact that everything is easier in the states-- I guess it depends on what you mean. Yes, doing the basic of things which I will no doubt have an issue with as an expat in BA--- getting a bank account, mobile plan, etc, here can be done in 5 minutes, but I find that some things have gotten a bit more complicated. (I have been out of the US work force for awhile and it's curious to note how most companies hiring has changed, and the "walk in and hand in a resume, get called for an interview if resume looks good" has changed quite a bit and now everything is done mostly online with less emphasis on your Personality, which, for someone who is more of a "people person" (I know the exp<b></b>ression is corny, but some of us just do better in person than on paper). Also the dark cloud of uncertainty with health care/health insurance in the US versus the ease of getting reasonable health care in Argentina and even the relative ease of getting meds at the pharmacies.

I'm not an economist, but I suspect that something has to give with this inflation. It is just not normal for Argentina to be more expensive than most European/US cities.

I would ask yourself honestly how much energy you have to fight for the things that you now probably take for granted...and see if you really want to come back. BA is great but exhausting, and it's harder than it was before for sure.

Bangkok - Immiration queue - 2 hours
Saigon - Immgration queue - 45 minutes
Buenos Aires ( Rush hour) - 15 minutes
no one is coming to BA. Once you are in any Eu country, flying to Athens is like domestic. No immigration. The line at Frankfurt is short and easy. EU people and Americans are easy.

Back