Review Of Dinner At Duhau Restaurante & Vinoteca ( Hyatt)

Ceviche

Registered
I had the pleasure to eat dinner last night here.

My first time there and very very impressed.

Ambience was super 10/10

The place is a former 'Palace" and eating outside watching that view at 23C was a unique & memorable experience.

The food normally in such high end places is not good but food was superb. 9/10

I had my favorite chivito which I believe is cooked by them for over 24 hours on slow fire to make it really tender. Had another fish dish. The person with me had some octopus dish and some pig dish. was also very happy.

Plus we had home made cocktails. superb cocktails with lot of good aroma from whatever they used..

total damage including tip was 1800 pesos..

The hostesses were 100% bilingual and extreeemely polite and helpful.

Highly recommended to all expats and visitors for one time experience especially on a summer evening.

===

One funny thing which happened to us and which which was actually a rarity..The taxi driver dropping us at the gate of this super hotel thought I had money to burn. The bill was 42 pesos and I have him a 100 . he said, he did not have change and was like "thank you and have a good day..I will keep the change"// So I then gave him 50 pesos..; he still claimed to have no change and drove off! Not that I grew poorer for 8 pesos but just found it uncanny..never happened before to me..

We like to visit the wine and cheese bar. Although with no imported san daniele and parmiggiano with truffle honey it changes things...

Frankly, not sure why any expat would be looking change from 50 pesos on 42 peso taxi. I typically round up to nearest ten and maybe even add 5. We are talking about cents here not dollars. Taxis are extremly inexpensive in BsAs. Your 8 peso tip was about 60 cents big spender! Not sure the taxi thought you were rich headed in there but you come off as quite cheap.

We like to visit the wine and cheese bar. Although with no imported san daniele and parmiggiano with truffle honey it changes things...

Frankly, not sure why any expat would be looking change from 50 pesos on 42 peso taxi. I typically round up to nearest ten and maybe even add 5. We are talking about cents here not dollars. Taxis are extremly inexpensive in BsAs. Your 8 peso tip was about 60 cents big spender! Not sure the taxi thought you were rich headed in there but you come off as quite cheap.

thanks.. I am paying him his charges as per government accredited meter.

when i need to do charity, I find the correct needy people to do it.

I never believed in doing charity or tipping taxi drivers anywhere in the world for driving me from Point 'A' to' B'..

And I would never tip a taxi driver who would want to "force" it out of me..( been there ..done that, when using cabs in NYC)

so yes, I am one helluva cheap guy.

thanks.. I am paying him his charges as per government accredited meter.

when i need to do charity, I find the correct needy people to do it.

I never believed in doing charity or tipping taxi drivers anywhere in the world for driving me from Point 'A' to' B'..

so yes, I am one helluva cheap guy.

Yikes! I always believe in tipping. Nothing feels better to me than paying someone who makes not much a little more for a great service... despite his govt sanctioned meter. In this case Taxis in BsAs are inexpensive especially for an expat. Sitting in Laguardia now. Flew up this morning. Uber picked me up in Miami and I doubled the guy's Uber fee with my tip. Arrived in NY this morning driving rain N'Easter. Headed to central Park South and threw my Uber driver an extra 20. Did the same thing back here at Laguardia. great service. Great people working hard. it's not charity. It is an acknowldegement that those of us who are fortunate to earm more can pay it forward. Called Karma... and its very cheap indeed. And it makes us richer. Try it sometime big spenda.

You pay 1800 pesos for dinner and you whine about an 8 peso tip for the taxi driver?

yes, i am not obliged to tip any taxi driver to take me from point A to point B...

I am not a American and where I come from..their is no culture/practice/habit/requirement/common place of tipping taxi drivers...neither then and neither now...so call me whiny or any abuse you feel like.

None of my local Argentine friends, who are well to do financially, ever adviced me that, its a requirement here.

When i had the meal last night I tipped 15% of the overall price because the hostesses did something extra than their job...and did not demand a tip out of me...

Yikes! I always believe in tipping. Nothing feels better to me than paying someone who makes not much a little more for a great service... despite his govt sanctioned meter. In this case Taxis in BsAs are inexpensive especially for an expat. Sitting in Laguardia now. Flew up this morning. Uber picked me up in Miami and I doubled the guy's Uber fee with my tip. Arrived in NY this morning driving rain N'Easter. Headed to central Park South and threw my Uber driver an extra 20. Did the same thing back here at Laguardia. great service. Great people working hard. it's not charity. It is an acknowldegement that those of us who are fortunate to earm more can pay it forward. Called Karma... and its very cheap indeed. And it makes us richer. Try it sometime big spenda.

I am not a fan of Uber..they are on verge of being banned in certain countries.

http://www.businessinsider.com/now-san-francisco-and-los-angeles-are-suing-uber-2014-12

Karma is a bitch indeed and I dont need to follow your footsteps to redeem my karma

The restaurant sounds great, if a bit expensive. I may have to try it one day.

Ceviche, I completely agree with you on the taxi thing, as far as it being a necessity to leave such a big tip because he doesn't have change. One of the reasons I feel that way is exactly what he did to you. If the taxi driver doesn't have change, let him do what they all tell us to do - go find a kiosko and buy something. He's a supposed businessman who is further aided by belonging to a fairly strong union. I have been told by many taxi drivers that finding change costs money, is hard to get, blah blah blah. Then I went to my bank and found that businesses often go to get change from them. Free of charge.

It's absolutely ridiculous that a taxi driver can't change a 100 pesos note with a fare that big, much less a 50 peso note.

I understand that they have a lot of people giving them notes of that size, but let's think a moment. With a 100 peso note, it would have been change of something like one 50 peso note, a 5, a 2 and a one peso coin. With the 50 peso note, he still would have had to give all the notes except the 50.

If the fare was 22 pesos and the passenger only had a 20 and a 10 - he would still have had to change the same amount, again minus the 50 peso note. Would the taxi driver have been happy to give up that 2 peso note on his end? Maybe, but very unlikely. He's still on the hook for change. Get off the freaking road if you don't have change, taxi drivers...I could understand when a fare cost between 5 and 10 pesos that giving a taxi a 100 peso note (or even a 50!) was a problem for them. but get real, for chrisake.

And let's see - that 8 pesos for a 42 peso fare turns out to be a nearly 20% tip! Wow, everyone goes around giving 20% tips to taxi drivers? I admit I might let the taxi driver keep a few pesos because I do sympathize with them about the change thing. But that's ridiculous.

Too many asshole taxi drivers here - I've been hit with the same thing, fairly often. It's one reason I never leave the car until I've paid and gotten what I I feel is respectable to leave with the guy or not, something we've worked out together so to speak.

Back