Right Wing Coup E'tat In Brazil

Then again, Galileo didn't get much endorsement when he said the world was round, I never expected to reach the majority.

"They said Galileo was crazy! They said Einstein was crazy! They said my Uncle Herbie was crazy!" "Who was your Uncle Herbie?" "Oh, nobody, he really was crazy."

Seems to be a good summary of what is going on in Brazil. And spare me the Al Jazeera connection.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/06/201362411928841390.html

So, if a video which denounces the lack of good public hospitals, the indiscriminate displacement of the people of the favelas and native americans, and talks about "sustainable lifestyles" is considered "right wing", I wonder what one needs to do to be considered"left wing" by her. By the tone of things, "Pol Pot" was probably a "social democrat" in her eyes then.

Then again, Galileo didn't get much endorsement when he said the world was round, I never expected to reach the majority.

You are equating yourself with Galileo? I only went to public school but I'm pretty sure I remember that Galileo's fight wasn't about the earth being round. And, his fight wasn't with the "majority." Galileo proposed that the Earth and all planets revolved around the Sun (Heliocentric) at a time when the prevailing theory was geocentric. The Church, especially the Pope, feared a loss of power and prestige since they had been saying (with Biblical passages as support) that the Earth was the center of "everything." Galileo paid attention in Math class, and then applied his science to observations he made. He was critical, not emotional. The Jesuits backed Galileo. They also paid attention in class.

In the case of your thread, I suggest you are The Church who is hanging on like grim death to a theory with excruciatingly little evidence (Right Wing Coup in Brazil). Emotionalism doesn't trump evidence that is contrary to your idea (unless you are a K).

You are equating yourself with Galileo? I only went to public school but I'm pretty sure I remember that Galileo's fight wasn't about the earth being round. And, his fight wasn't with the "majority."

Dude, seriously, why even bother?

GS_Dirtboy, I think a blank post with just your tagline will do perfectly.

Congrats to the brave OP for having singlehandedly averted a Coup E'tat (SIC) by her immediate reaction and whatever else she did besides looking straight at facts and staying in touch with reality. That was a close one!

You are equating yourself with Galileo? I only went to public school but I'm pretty sure I remember that Galileo's fight wasn't about the earth being round. And, his fight wasn't with the "majority." Galileo proposed that the Earth and all planets revolved around the Sun (Heliocentric) at a time when the prevailing theory was geocentric. The Church, especially the Pope, feared a loss of power and prestige since they had been saying (with Biblical passages as support) that the Earth was the center of "everything." Galileo paid attention in Math class, and then applied his science to observations he made. He was critical, not emotional. The Jesuits backed Galileo. They also paid attention in class.

In the case of your thread, I suggest you are The Church who is hanging on like grim death to a theory with excruciatingly little evidence (Right Wing Coup in Brazil). Emotionalism doesn't trump evidence that is contrary to your idea (unless you are a K).

She is upset that we do not acknowledge that the world revolves around her.

I dont know much about this, besides from what i hear from friends. One of them is a guy getting a doctorate, studied politics, and is quite left wing. He also lives in the center of Sao Paulo and started going to the protest when they started. He recently stopped going because he said more and more people started going that were using the attention for other things than the original intend of the protests (the public transport etc). What worried him most, and when he decided he didnt want to be part of it anymore, was the growing group of people screaming they wanted the military back in power...

Back