robbery with a knife

I'm glad you are okay. I know it can be a shot to the ego but it can happen to anyone. Those parks can be dangerous at night. Just try to be more mindful of your surroundings next time. Oh yeah and stash anything over 200 pesos in an alternate place just in case, especially when walking around at night. It might sound silly but you could have been 200 pesos richer if you had put it in your sock ;)

TheBlackHand said:
I'm glad you are okay. I know it can be a shot to the ego but it can happen to anyone. Those parks can be dangerous at night. Just try to be more mindful of your surroundings next time. Oh yeah and stash anything over 200 pesos in an alternate place just in case, especially when walking around at night. It might sound silly but you could have been 200 pesos richer if you had put it in your sock ;)

That's reasonable. My cousin used to tell me to do that when we get on a train travelling together in summer vacations.

Increasing incidents of this combined with inflation are a huge reason why people are leaving BsAs. I have recently heard of two sets of friends of mine being targeted *because* they are foreigners, one of whom was pregnant, held up with a gun, and had to let me inside her house where they pushed her to the floor and made to lie there while other men entered and robbed everything in the apartment including the towels. I'm personally sick of feeling like a target, though I haven't been robbed or otherwise attacked in quite some time...

MizzMarr said:
Increasing incidents of this combined with inflation are a huge reason why people are leaving BsAs. I have recently heard of two sets of friends of mine being targeted *because* they are foreigners, one of whom was pregnant, held up with a gun, and had to let me inside her house where they pushed her to the floor and made to lie there while other men entered and robbed everything in the apartment including the towels. I'm personally sick of feeling like a target, though I haven't been robbed or otherwise attacked in quite some time...

I'm in Argentina for good, but I'm damn glad I'm not in CF.

steveinbsas said:
Does anyone really think it's worth it to live like this?

Wow, a lot of nondescript pronouns in that question. :confused:

Does anybody really think (what)'s worth (what) to live like (what)?

Empshel said:
Wow, a lot of nondescript pronouns in that question. :confused:

Does anybody really think (what)'s worth (what) to live like (what)?

Does anybody think its worth the daily risk to personal safety to live like a target in Buenoe Aires.

Is that descriptive enough?

BA is a fucking awful place to live after you've been robbed.

It is before as well, but you may not realize it until the bubble bursts.

steveinbsas said:
Is that descriptive enough?

Is (what) descriptive enough? You and your pronouns!!! (Just kidding.)

I'll answer a rephrased version of your question. Is the convenience of living in a large city worth the increased risk of being a victim of crime? (I'm rephrasing your question because I'm assuming (dangerous, I know), that crime in big cities isn't a problem reserved only for Buenos Aires and b) there are "peasants" (whatever you mean by that) who don't live in the city.)

For many people, I'd say the answer is yes. Especially for people who are not planning on staying in a particular location for an extended period of time. If a person were planning to come to Argentina to start a family and start a new life, buy a house, etc., living in Buenos Aires might not (or might, depending on the person) be advisable, but for somebody coming for three, six or twelve months, trading in some security of lesser populated areas in order to take advantage of the convenience only found in larger population centers is "worth it."

Sorry about what happened. Unfortunately it's common enough. People say Argies are hysterical or that the media scares people with their reports, but the fact is Buenos Aires is not a safe city especially after dark or in certain neighborhoods. I'd say most people living here for a while know of someone who has been robbed at either knife or gun point. You have to be super careful, and even then, there's no guarantees.

Back