robbery with a knife

Empshel said:
Is (what) descriptive enough? You and your pronouns!!! (Just kidding.)

I'll answer a rephrased version of your question. Is the convenience of living in a large city worth the increased risk of being a victim of crime? (I'm rephrasing your question because I'm assuming (dangerous, I know), that crime in big cities isn't a problem reserved only for Buenos Aires and b) there are "peasants" (whatever you mean by that) who don't live in the city.)

For many people, I'd say the answer is yes. Especially for people who are not planning on staying in a particular location for an extended period of time. If a person were planning to come to Argentina to start a family and start a new life, buy a house, etc., living in Buenos Aires might not (or might, depending on the person) be advisable, but for somebody coming for three, six or twelve months, trading in some security of lesser populated areas in order to take advantage of the convenience only found in larger population centers is "worth it."

I don't know if it's a problem shared by populated cities. From where i came from, yeah, it's even more populated than here, I have never been robbed in 25 years in my life, not even my lunch money as a kid. I've been stolen but not robbed.
Yes, this is my first time in my life. And I don't think it's worth it. No body deserves this, even the robber himself, putting a knife at somebody for what, some paper note that has declining value by day? And believe me, he dressed clean and all, he should not have been that desperate.

I doubt that the thief was so poor that he was forced to rob. There are many social programs for the poor - that's how Cristina gets votes. Countless people live on subsidies, many without working at all.

The worst part here is the sense of helplessness. The police are useless. You are on your own.

puvenlee said:
I don't know if it's a problem shared by populated cities. From where i came from, yeah, it's even more populated than here, I have never been robbed in 25 years in my life, not even my lunch money as a kid. I've been stolen but not robbed.
Yes, this is my first time in my life. And I don't think it's worth it. No body deserves this, even the robber himself, putting a knife at somebody for what, some paper note that has declining value by day? And believe me, he dressed clean and all, he should not have been that desperate.

Instead of me going off on some tangent, I just want to leave it with I'm glad to hear that you're okay and that the harm to you was limited. It's a horrible, horrible thing and I appreciate you sharing your story.

Sorry to read this - I can only imagine what a terrifying experience that was. Take care of yourself the next few days.

MizzMarr said:
Increasing incidents of this combined with inflation are a huge reason why people are leaving BsAs. I have recently heard of two sets of friends of mine being targeted *because* they are foreigners, one of whom was pregnant, held up with a gun, and had to let me inside her house where they pushed her to the floor and made to lie there while other men entered and robbed everything in the apartment including the towels. I'm personally sick of feeling like a target, though I haven't been robbed or otherwise attacked in quite some time...

My wife was targeted one day when she was pregnant while she was downtown. Two guys came from behind and started pulling on her bag trying to force her to give it up. Thankfully she screamed for help and a few people came to beat the guys who were trying to rob her.

And this was in the middle of an ordinary workday.

I carry a personal alarm whenever I go outside, you can get them on mercadolibre....

I am also really sorry to hear that this happened to you, I have been a victim of armed robbery myself at my business, I had a gun pointed at me, although it wasn't violent, I permanently lost a bit of confidence in human beings that day. Everytime a customer would move their hands around their pockets or waistband I just waited for the gun to be pulled out. I hope it never happens again to any of us. I have since closed my business and while that wasn't the only reason, it certainly was a contributing factor. May you all be safe and sound.
Here's a link to the video of the robbery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypn-gjCETr4

So sorry to hear about that. I live directly in that area and often walk my dog at all hours of the night...so your story is scary for me too. You would think there would be added security by being so close to an embassy, but the reality is, day or night, no matter where we are, this can happen.
bottom line, i'm happy you are ok.

Back