Roku, Chromecast with Google TV, Amazon Fire Stick in Argentina

Good to know. I have already a good VPN plan, but I imagine I’ll be living in AirBNB for a while, so probably no router configurations for a while.

If the router is in one of the rooms of the house, you merely connect the VPN router to one of the ethernet outputs of the main router (and plug in power source of the VPN router). Then you connect your devices to signal from your VPN router. Flashrouters.com is a popular site for these.

It looks like Roku reached a deal with Youtube, so it’ll be available still on the device. Might it be better to go with a Roku instead of Amazon Fire Stick? I believe Roku is available in Argentina. Also, one of their devices has the option to use the usb port of the TV for power rather than to be plugged into a wall: https://smile.amazon.com/Roku-Streaming-Stick-HDR-Streaming-Long-range/dp/B075XLWML4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=IPMM6IK21127&keywords=roku+streaming+stick&qid=1638978363&sprefix=roku,aps,193&sr=8-1. I may prefer that better, though those versions I believe aren’t as advanced as the new ones which require the extra power. It’s might be nice though not having that long wire going to the wall, and not worrying about the compatibility of the USA plug with Argentina outlet.

It’s might be nice though not having that long wire going to the wall, and not worrying about the compatibility of the USA plug with Argentina outlet.

And here comes the determining factor:) You can connect your TV to the wall, but not some device that is attached to the TV, right?

I guess, this is not the only electrical gadget you will be bringing from the USA, so you will need to figure out the situation with adapters and transformers anyway.

And here comes the determining factor:) You can connect your TV to the wall, but not some device that is attached to the TV, right?

I guess, this is not the only electrical gadget you will be bringing from the USA, so you will need to figure out the situation with adapters and transformers anyway.

Yes. A plug adapter for approximately 40 ARS found pretty much everywhere is not a concerning factor and should not even be on the radar.

I confirm that I’m able to use my old Roku device at my Airbnb. Not sure how the router is configured but I’m also able to get CBSN live news.

I know nothing about Google TV but I have an older non-smart Samsung TV and with my chromecast I can stream lots of programs and movies I find on internet, on FLOW, Netflix, Pluto, Amazon, etc. with or without a VPN

Or, you could do what I do. Use pirate bay to download whatever I want (I use a VPN set to Switzerland), then playback using Plex media server. Very slick.

Plex...

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_165317201~2.jpg
    PXL_20220114_165317201~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
people still download shows from the internet?
No! But if you did, you can find anything from new films, the latest shows from the BBC, Apple, HBO, Prime, etc. And just about any older film or tv show you'd care to watch.

But don't do it! The Plex media server is great, btw. It's also free. But don't do it. Ever.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nlaruccia Expat Life 30
F Expat Life 6
Back