Safe area to rent in BsAs ?

adotdotdam

Registered
Plan to rent place around Esmeralda and Alvear...
Found this location as a compromise. Shopping, transportation, entertainment, etc. But if the collective wisdom directs me elsewhere, let it be ;-)

First of all, there's no such place.

Secondly, if you're talking about Esmeralda & Arroyo [which is what Alvear turns into at Cerrito (at the French Embassy)], then that's both a REALLY NICE neighborhood as well as 100 meters (or so) from Sketchville.

Thirdly, are you talking about (A) Safe from "street crime"? or (B) Safe from "landlord deposit theft"?

Esmeralda & Alvear is really nice, right next to art galleries & a DISCO (supermarket chain). It is an extremely dead area at night.

You are one block from Plaza San Martin, one block from the bombed out Israeli embassy (Plaza de la Embajada de Israel), and 3 1/2 blocks from a police station. You are also about 1 1/2 - 2 blocks from Retiro Train station.

You will probably not get robbed there. Probably.

Perhaps the OP is referring to Marcelo T. Alvear which is one block on the other side of Av. Santa Fe and becomes Charcas in Palermo?

If so, it isn't nearly as nice as Arroyo and Esmeralda. It has the "feel" of El Centro and there isn't much going on there at night except for the "sex" bars. It could be very noisy as well as somewhat dangerous. There is at least one decent (tourist type) hotel on Esmeralda between M. T. Alvear and Santa Fe, but nothing like the Sofitel on Arroyo.

I agree with everything Napoleon wrote about Arroyo and Esmeralda. I walked there dozens of times to visit the art galleries, but never at night (only because it wasn't close to where I lived and they usually aren't open at night). The Disco he mentioned had the best selection of imported food that I ever found in BA.

There are certainly areas that would be considered "safer" on the other side of 9 de Julio (towards Recoleta).

I meant corner of Esmeralda &
"Marcelo T. Alvear which is one block on the other side of Av. Santa Fe and becomes Charcas in Palermo"
So, I gather, recommendation is that I should rent in Recoleta or Palermo?

I lived on Marcelo T Alvear and Esmeralda for 6 months when I first arrived. It was the perfect spot to explore BsAs and decide where to live longer term. There is more than one decent hotel but into the small hours it's harder to find nice bars than an area like Palermo as the last post says. However there are some great restaurants and only one block from the Plaza San Martin I enjoyed walking and exploring the area and going to Puerto Madero, the nature reserve and Recoleta. It was handy for me being near the Spanish Schools too.
As a young(ish) female I felt safe enough.

I was glad to leave after 6 months ,it's hectic due to it's central location and like a ghost town at the weekend. It's not somewhere I would have got to know if I hadn't lived there, I'm glad I did, however any longer than a few months I would say there are nicer places to live.
Colegiales is great value!

Back