Safer To Use A Money Transfer Service Or Bring Cash

Is it safer to use money transfer service or bring cash?

• Money Transfer Service is safer

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Cash is safer

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I'm broke so this doesn't apply to me

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
I'm not sure it is fair to compare with the Dolarblue rate because I have never gotten that rate on the street - has anyone?

I got 15,50 for euros, when in dolarblue it was 14.80. This was last week just altre The Paris agreement.

Strictly speaking, money transfer is probably safer, but the risk of bringing cash is still minimal.

Can you Xoom dollars over in Uruguay and then just bring them over by boat? To me that seems like a easy safe way to not carry a huge amount all the time. Isn't that possible?

Can you Xoom dollars over in Uruguay and then just bring them over by boat? To me that seems like a easy safe way to not carry a huge amount all the time. Isn't that possible?

Why bother? If you're in Uruguay, you can withdraw dollars directly from an ATM.

During my last trip to MVD in May , I was unable to get dollars using my European bank card in 4 different banks , so you should be careful about depending on this method.

Xoom and Azimo are a bit more dependable.

During my last trip to MVD in May , I was unable to get dollars using my European bank card in 4 different banks , so you should be careful about depending on this method.

Xoom and Azimo are a bit more dependable.
Do you know why you couldn't get dollars?

Do you know why you couldn't get dollars?

Different stories from different banks

No dollars loaded in the ATM seems to be the winning excuse - I eventually got dollars from other machines but it is a pain to go round machines to get some spending money

Many ATMs in Uruguay also have limits like 200 US$ max, even if your credit card allows to withdraw way bigger amounts. Given that and the high fees, I'd guess Xoom might be both cheaper and more convenient if you try to get a bigger amount.

I was able to get $800 in one transaction (maybe I could have gotten more) on a US based brokerage debit card at the ATM at Teatro Solis in Montevideo across from Plaza Independencia. No lines.

Till date, I have only used ( and will continue to use) the ever dependable ATM machines to withdraw pesos in BA but Blokes say the best way is transfer to US accounts of trustworthy Argie friends and receive pesos at yr home twiddling yr thumb.. with no worries.

Back