Safety

I am a native New Yorker (lived in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Upper West Side) and find that living in NY has more than prepared me for living here. That said, I do feel that NYC is a lot safer than parts of the city of Buenos Aires. As a tourist, you should know that you are going to naturally stick out. Keep your camera in a bag, your wallet in your front pocket and your eyes open. There are opportunists everywhere. Buenos Aires has a lot to offer with respect to architecture, history etc. Just be street smart and you will be fine. I am assuming you are not looking into staying here long term, will be staying in Palermo/Puerto Madero/Recoleta areas and you will not be bringing your own car. Don't get stressed about all the negative postings here, just be street smart.

Thanks for the info, folks,and the reassurances.

(And even in Russian Roulette, five of the chambers are empty. ;-) )

Thanks for the info. Some of what you've been writing I've been hearing from my distant aunt who lives near BA. She was probably exaggerating, but she said that people get killed over a pair of shoes these days. I took it with a grain of salt, but still, some of your reports are quite scary. For me this is a completely new world, I'm from Slovenia where there is no crime, not even pick-pocketing. I'll be alert, that's for sure.

Anyway, I'll be coming to BA probably by bus. Is it safe to take subways or am I better off taking a cab?

I really shouldn't worry about it.
I don't know any expats who have any serious problems beyond pic pockets.

Thanks for the info. Some of what you've been writing I've been hearing from my distant aunt who lives near BA. She was probably exaggerating, but she said that people get killed over a pair of shoes these days. I took it with a grain of salt, but still, some of your reports are quite scary. For me this is a completely new world, I'm from Slovenia where there is no crime, not even pick-pocketing. I'll be alert, that's for sure.

Anyway, I'll be coming to BA probably by bus. Is it safe to take subways or am I better off taking a cab?

Million of people move daily in the subtes and buses system of the city so unless you are really scared of people you should be alright, don't carry expensive things or if you do don't show them and pay attention to pick pocketing as you would do in the subway in Paris, in any case is all a question of luck, but if my girl that is from Germany and look like a really easy target went around the city by her own for months and had no problem at all I will tell you to grow up and become a man, is not like you will be killed by just coming to do tourism, I always carry Iphones or expensive stuff and never had a problem even when I use public transport 2 or more times in the day.

Just take care of your things and you will be all right, pick pocketing is the most common crime. In any case don’t go to the villas.
Sorry if i sound rude but you are not going to pakistan in the middle of the war. Brazil suffer 5 times more death per 100.000 and still is full of turist don't be so worry people that live there is the one that get more afected not the turist in any case.

Brazil suffer 5 times more death per 100.000 and still is full of turist don't be so worry people that live there is the one that get more afected not the turist in any case.

Only 5 times? I thought it was worse.

Really? I didnt know Brazil was that unsafe. Been there a couple of times (not big cities, only Santa Catarina) and it looked a very quiet place. Plus, the brazilian way of life is much more happy and cheerfull, big cities has beautiful beaches -which it is supposed to relax people.
I know poverty is big but when I think of Brazil I dont think of violence.

Really? I didnt know Brazil was that unsafe. Been there a couple of times (not big cities, only Santa Catarina) and it looked a very quiet place. Plus, the brazilian way of life is much more happy and cheerfull, big cities has beautiful beaches -which it is supposed to relax people.
I know poverty is big but when I think of Brazil I dont think of violence.

There are parts of Brazil that make Mogadishu, Somalia seem tranquil.

Back