Safety

How sad and ironic, he was shooting a flying rat and shortly after was shot by a rat

Dude, suggest you grow up and get your facts straight.

a. He wasn't shot but stabbed
b. by a "fellow human being" and not a rat.
c. Sad, truly yes. It also saddens me to read comments like yours referring to other people as "rats". You must be so Superior.
The irony escapes me.

Well i was more afraid walking in the night in Paris than here, anyway there is not such thing as a big metropolis without crime so just be careful pay atention and enjoy, more if you are a turist ;)
Hahha, this is one of the funniest things I've read today.

Perhaps you shouldn't be walking around the red light district at night ;)

Biggest advice: what may seem cheap to you may be expensive here. Especially notebook computers, iphones, ipads, ipods, ebooks. Do not use them in public, I´ve heard even of thieves entering a cafe at gunpoint to rob computers! Do not use them on the subte (subway), or in plazas. If you do, don´t leave a computer unattended, even for a minute to go to the bathroom.
Be very careful taking photos or video in public, never go alone.
Do not use jewelery that looks expensive or is expensive, especially watches.
I still use an old cell phone and my husband has the cheapest smart phone on the market, in part because he doesn´t want to be a target for robberies.
I have lived here for ten years, and I have been pickpocketed 5 times, 3 times were really my own fault for putting my money in the back of my backpack, etc. I was also robbed twice in Barcelona in a week, and I lived in NY for four years and never robbed there.
People here like to exagerate and complain, take it with a grain of salt. Crime has gone up compared to 50 years ago, and that is how most locals judge the situation. There is a lot of robbery, but very little "serial killer/mass shooting" crap compared to the US or even Brazil or Mexico.
You are proabably safest in areas with a lot of people on the streets, and less safe in empty areas, even if they are "nice".

I still use an old cell phone and my husband has the cheapest smart phone on the market, in part because he doesn´t want to be a target for robberies.
The nice thing about that, is that this situation forces us to live a more simple life in a way, which may ultimately have a positive effect on our minds. I know many people who complain about being addicted to their smartphones and an eternal connection to the internet, or listening to music all the time. I have often roamed the streets of Buenos Aires practically not carrying anything at all apart from probably 100 pesos and I was way more conscious of the environment, the weather, my thoughts, people, food etcetera. I recently took a subway ride here which was just as completely full as linea D during rush hour, however the difference was that practically EVERYONE else was busy with their smartphone and it was a simply ridiculous sight. Buenos Aires taught me to be more happy with less materialism.

I can't describe how great it is to spend a morning just walking in the center of Buenos Aires, carrying practically nothing but a small amount of cash for good coffee (I do not understand the complaints here, like always you just need to know where to go) concentrating on the great weather and making my senses enjoy the moment, without being forced to catch up with uninteresting status updates or to refresh Infobae.com every 5 seconds. Paz interior.

If you're nervous about petty crime - and this really goes for anyone reading this forum - why not combine street smarts and style with a fanny pack? It's one of the best ways to keep your pesos and expensive stuff safe and out of harms way.

Mensfashion-hulkhogan.jpg

Even Hulk Hogan wears one when roaming the streets of BsAs!

When I'm not tasering beggars in the face I like to carry I knife:
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/27569081.jpg

When I'm not tasering beggars in the face
:cool:

I suppose that 'let's pepper spray beggars in the face without clear reasons' thing is going to be the biggest hype on this forum for the next few years

Back