Salary For Embassy Workers

Hmmm. Any reason why these positions should not obey the laws of supply and demand and adjust to the local context? Even in US soil, government wages are usually lower than the private sector, so I would not be surprised that it is also the same here, further adjusted by the local economy.

Don't know about other embassies, but the US embassy has been around for some time so I'd assume they do get folks who are willing to work for that much. Probably less qualified than you, but likely sufficient for their needs. Also, the "value" of working for an Embassy may come from the perception of other benefits (access, foreign opportunities, "prestige", the people you work with), but after all that glitz, it can be just as mundane as anything else.

Entry-level steps to "prestigious" careers are often underpaid/overworked -- just ask anyone trying to make it as an actor in LA, or trying to break into media & entertainment (think new USC grads with unpaid internships to mainly fetch coffee for "Devil wears Prada" bosses)

That's also the net salary. Gross (bruto) would be around 8700 a month. That seems right about in line for a lowish level admin job. You're also not calculating in the 13th month.
still 7800 considering 13 months....

I was browsing on the US Embassy website for job openings, and currently there are 2. One of them is for ad administrative clerk and the compensation is FSN-6 of the local compensation scale, which means ARS 3,592 bi-weekly, roughly ARS 7200/month.

Compared to a similar job for the Italian Embassy in Buenos Aires, where the Salary is around €2300 net/month, it looks like the US Embassy is exploiting the local population.

Can anybody shed a light on this? I always thought that working for Embassy lead to a great salary and load of benefits, and assumed it was the same for any Embassy...

Well, they just exploit their employeds.

I pay that in hand to my cadete (delivery boy).

Bruto is 8700 per month (maso). En mano is 7800.

8700 bruto is pretty average per a quick browsing of jobs.

I was browsing on the US Embassy website for job openings, and currently there are 2. One of them is for ad administrative clerk and the compensation is FSN-6 of the local compensation scale, which means ARS 3,592 bi-weekly, roughly ARS 7200/month.

Compared to a similar job for the Italian Embassy in Buenos Aires, where the Salary is around €2300 net/month, it looks like the US Embassy is exploiting the local population.

Can anybody shed a light on this? I always thought that working for Embassy lead to a great salary and load of benefits, and assumed it was the same for any Embassy...

If the local hires at the Italian Embassy make 2,300 Euros :D

No wonder the Italian economy is in trouble :D Are we Comparing Apples ans Oranges???

If the local hires at the Italian Embassy make 2,300 Euros :D

No wonder the Italian economy is in trouble :D Are we Comparing Apples ans Oranges???
I think Serafina described for an Italian citizen recently graduated from Uni / College, not for locally hired Argentinean salary.

I think Serafina described for an Italian citizen recently graduated from Uni / College, not for locally hired Argentinean salary.

It is actually a locally sourced worker for the Italian consulate in Buenos Aires. They don't sponsor for a VISA and they require at least 2 years of continuous residence in Argentina to make sure that person is "integrated with the local reality".
They don't need a college graduate, just a high school diploma. If you have a higher degree, the better.
However the Italian hiring process involves a sitting for a written translation test, a sitting for an oral translation test and formal interview, plus a work simulation.

The position at the US embassy... I don't know, it is not clear. It looks like they will decide directly without all of the selection fuss.

It is actually a locally sourced worker for the Italian consulate in Buenos Aires. They don't sponsor for a VISA and they require at least 2 years of continuous residence in Argentina to make sure that person is "integrated with the local reality".
They don't need a college graduate, just a high school diploma. If you have a higher degree, the better.
However the Italian hiring process involves a sitting for a written translation test, a sitting for an oral translation test and formal interview, plus a work simulation.

The position at the US embassy... I don't know, it is not clear. It looks like they will decide directly without all of the selection fuss.
Serafina, then it is no option but go for your Italian embassy/consulate job application,if they are hiring. The salary discrepancies between the El Italiano vs the Americanos a no brainer.The difference in salaries, the Americano can hire 5 Argentinos ( an equal opportunity employer ) vs the Italianos. However, there should be why the discrepancies, I assume the Italianos wanting more capable person for its higher salary duties.?

I don't really know why they pay so much - this is a significant salary even by Italian standards (well, the kind of salary you get for working at a Ministry). I thought the Italian salary was a normal embassy worker salary, and the US one an incredibly low one.
I had my husband applying at the Italian consulate, I don't have the required level of Spanish - I am still learning.

I never understood why some embassies are allowed to hire local workers at local salaries being that they are considered foreign soil, and in the case of the US, the minimum wage is much higher than what they are offering, can anybody shed some light on this?

Back