Salary

Lclc23

Registered
For an expat to live comfortablyin Buenos Aires, would do you think they would need to earn (in usd)?

Obviously "comfortable" is different for everyone but let's say apartment in Recoleta, mix of taxi and subte for transportation, eating out 2-3x a week, etc

A minimum of $3K U$D and that is if they live in a small apartment and pay $1K U$D for rent or less.

Lclc23 said:
For an expat to live comfortablyin Buenos Aires, would do you think they would need to earn (in usd)?

Obviously "comfortable" is different for everyone but let's say apartment in Recoleta, mix of taxi and subte for transportation, eating out 2-3x a week, etc

a close expat friend lives like that on 2k a month. she also travels quite a bit.

this sounds like a realistic figure, taking into account a minimum of $ 1000 usd for monthly rent.

Davidglen77 said:
A minimum of $3K U$D and that is if they live in a small apartment and pay $1K U$D for rent or less.

TheBlackHand said:
this sounds like a realistic figure, taking into account a minimum of $ 1000 usd for monthly rent.

i agree 3000 us$ a month.

Use the search function. The site is full of this same topic.

Why so much? US$2k after rent?? Over 2000 pesos a week? That's 300 pesos a day? Are you having girlfriend experiences every night or what?

I think you could probably cook for yourself, take a couple of cabs and have a coffee out for around 150 pesos per day. When you're eating out, this would probably go up to between 200-300 pesos. I suppose though that if you're including things like fancy gym membership, medical insurance, taxis, drinks out...300 would probably be a safe-ish figure.

You will live comfortably on US$2k (per month), no worries, eating out 2-3 times per week. If you are going to spend a lot of money at bars and clubs, travelling around, clothes shopping, gym memberships (for a decent gym these are relatively the same price as what you may be used to in your own country) then perhaps you may need more.

Your most significant single outlay and largest variable is going to be your rent. If you are willing to settle for a smaller apartment (obviously) your lifestyle is going to be cheaper. If you want to live in Recoleta, US$1k (per month) will get you a small apartment, albeit keep in mind you will be living in a really nice barrio.

If you have a garantia for your apartment (I am not sure of your situation) then your rent will be a lot cheaper.

I can't even fathom living on 2K a month in any manner that could be described as comfortable. 1K for rent is realistic - that leaves you only 1K a month for groceries, restaurants, going out, health insurance, gym, taxis - ni en pedo!

To the OP - it's a tough question b/c everyone has a different level of what comfortable is. 3K (after taxes) sound more reasonable but don't plan on living the high life.

Back