Salary

citygirl said:
I can't even fathom living on 2K a month in any manner that could be described as comfortable. 1K for rent is realistic - that leaves you only 1K a month for groceries, restaurants, going out, health insurance, gym, taxis - ni en pedo!

To the OP - it's a tough question b/c everyone has a different level of what comfortable is. 3K (after taxes) sound more reasonable but don't plan on living the high life.

For a High life in BA, you need at least 6000 US$ a month

There was a long thread a couple of months ago on this. Search it and add 25%.

Taxis seem like NYC prices now and food just keeps going up. We eat a healthy, but not lavish diet and spend about $100 US/wk on good quality fruit and vegetables alone. Meat now seems more expensive than in the US with the possible exception of lomo.

Christmas shopping was enlightening--crap clothes are very expensive. Good custom leather, however, is still a bargain.

The good news is wine is still cheap!

jb5 said:
There was a long thread a couple of months ago on this. Search it and add 25%.

Taxis seem like NYC prices now and food just keeps going up. We eat a healthy, but not lavish diet and spend about $100 US/wk on good quality fruit and vegetables alone. Meat now seems more expensive than in the US with the possible exception of lomo.

Christmas shopping was enlightening--crap clothes are very expensive. Good custom leather, however, is still a bargain.

The good news is wine is still cheap!

How can you say that? I just scored 4 bottles of 2007 Tapiz Black Tears delivered to my house in the states for 32 dollars a piece + 4.99 shipping and handling. You won't find it for less than 200 pesos anywhere in argentina.

Wine is expensive too.

PhilipDT said:
How can you say that? I just scored 4 bottles of 2007 Tapiz Black Tears delivered to my house in the states for 32 dollars a piece + 4.99 shipping and handling. You won't find it for less than 200 pesos anywhere in argentina.

Wine is expensive too.

The one thing all my US friends ask me when I go, is wine. I usually take like 4 bottles in each piece of luggage.
You can get super good wines for 40 pesos a bottle.

Wines can generally be found cheaper outside of their country of origin as they avoid substantial local taxes that would otherwise be added. Overall the price vs quality of Argentine wine is fantastic and only getting better.

But like everything else, CFK limits exports, most wine produced here is not exported.

jb5 said:
But like everything else, CFK limits exports, most wine produced here is not exported.

Wrong. A large percentage of premium and super premium Argentine wines are NOT available on the domestic market and are export only.

Argentine wines are a good value for but they are not a good value in Argentina. Take for example one of my favorite cab varitals from Argentina.

I'd say its a good wine in the 25~30 dollar range, which makes it an absolute steal @ $20 dollars (http://www.winex.com/wine-584118-.aspx) in the states. But slightly less of one @ $32 (http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-134108409-riglos-gran-cabernet-sauvignon-2008-vino-tinto-_JM) in argentina.

Back