Salta/cafayate/argentina Countryside--Cheap Living?

polostar88

Registered
I'm curious about housing in the Argentinian countryside and especially in Salta or Cafayate as I especially like the weather in that area. For how much could I get a modest place per month? I know that in the Peruvian countryside for example you can get an apt in a small city for as little as $100-$200/month; is this at all possible in Argentina (not just in the places I named, but elsewhere). Any info. on this would be much appreciated, even if you just PM me.

I need fresh air, sun, and good fresh local food.

I would like to recommend the town in Merlo, in San Luis. Best climate in the country, dry, Las Vegas style, and not too expensive, excellent roads, and good administration by local govmt.

I would like to recommend the town in Merlo, in San Luis. Best climate in the country, dry, Las Vegas style, and not too expensive, excellent roads, and good administration by local govmt.

In Northenr Patagonia you need to be able to pay much more, if you want a decent place, especially if you want to be near the center of places. Many people are looking in the 2000-4000 peso range and there is barely anything. Actually there is barely anything above nor below that as well..
Plenty of fresh air, though :)

Thanks! I'm looking it up though and the hotels seem to be quite expensive online. If I went there what are the chances I could find a place to stay for longer and what's the ballpark price per month?

I'd like to see a response to polostar88's #6 and hear more about Merlo/San Luis. Wikipedia sez its economy is doing great and its climate chart on the province looks great.

Has it been discovered? Is the cost of living going up? Etc. Gracias.

In Northenr Patagonia you need to be able to pay much more, if you want a decent place, especially if you want to be near the center of places. Many people are looking in the 2000-4000 peso range and there is barely anything. Actually there is barely anything above nor below that as well..
Plenty of fresh air, though :)

Which cities lie in "Northern Patagonia?"

San Luis is the best option.

I m in Salta right now and I see you have 2 issues here, perhaps more.

The anti immigration north shield programm is on in Salta and it means a lot of GN (Rangers) police checks and they arrest you right away if you do not have a valid id, precaria or expired entry stamp.

Drug trafficking is another issue in Salta.

The next one is powerty. It means you have expensive and too cheap housing.

The same with hotels and restaurants. Just 10 percent of them are on the web, but you should avoid cheaps hotels too.

You have vinchuca in Salta that produce chagas desease.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs340/en/

So, you cannot look for unexpensive housing/ hotels in Salta.

You have a lot of social unrest in Salta.

Cafayate is beautiful, indeed, however, San Luis is much better because:
1. There is a housing programm from the State where you can buy a house for almost nothing in stallments; it means that renting is cheaper and houses are standard;
2. A lot less powerty;
3. No vinchucas (chagas disease);
4. Social peace.

Back