Saludos from Chile

alexportnoy

Registered
I'm a 22 year old English teacher from New York. I've been teaching in Chile through their government English program since June and I'm almost certain that I'll be relocating to Buenos Aires for at least a few months in mid December but I'd like to stay for as long as possible (maybe even permanently)

Does anyone know what the job market is like out there for a certified teacher (that speaks reasonably good spanish)? I'll be taking a CELTA class in January which I will assume help my marketability.

What about other jobs? Is it common for English speaking expats to find work at museums/other touristy locations as tour guides?

Thanks for your responses :cool:

WHY leave Chile? Read this board and you might change your mind and stay where you are.

I've been to BA before (spent a month there in 2011) and I can assure you without a shadow of a doubt that I'd rather be there than where I am now

You can get a lot of teaching work starting in early March when the school year begins. It's hard to get enough hours from one source though. You can fill your schedule but surely not all from the same employer, so the reality is that you will be running all over the city most likely for different clients. The pay is 35-55 in the institutes and anywhere from 50-90 for private students. These prices are in pesos, which is a problem because inflation is so fast, it's hard to say if it will be enough to cover all of your living expenses at the end of the year (nonetheless at the beginning!). That said, BA is a fun place to live!! It has a lot of bad things about it but it depends how much you decide to pay attention. Try it for 6 months or 1 year and see if you like it enough to deal with all the pitfalls (and see how much worse it gets by then before you decide to commit)

alexportnoy said:
I've been to BA before (spent a month there in 2011) and I can assure you without a shadow of a doubt that I'd rather be there than where I am now

I can assure you without a shadow of a doubt that being paid in Argentine Pesos is a nightmare.

Cant help you with a job, but definitely come down here for a bit of fun. Your 22 and you will have a ball here, but if your trying to make a living here as long as you realise earning pesos wont go far at all and that it will be just as pricey as Chile, you will be fine.

But if you come with that holiday, party attitude you had when you last spent a month here I am sure you will have just as good a time.

alexportnoy said:

Alexportnoy,
Yes, would love to hear you elaborate on what you don't like (and do like), about Chile. Many previous posters have raved about how much greener the grass is there.
Thanks,
Jim

I love Chile (and I've already applied for a number of jobs here) but I want to give Argentina a go as well. I plan on staying in Argentina until my tourist visa expires and see what to do then.

If I get any jobs/interviews in Chile, I'll be on a bus back to Santiago pretty quickly. If I get any jobs/interviews in Argentina, I'll be staying there. If I don't get jobs in either place, I'll be heading back to the states.

There isn't much that I dislike about Chile but I will say I like the food in Argentina much more (sorry if I'm offending any Chilean expats with this)

lucha54 said:
You can get a lot of teaching work starting in early March when the school year begins. It's hard to get enough hours from one source though. You can fill your schedule but surely not all from the same employer, so the reality is that you will be running all over the city most likely for different clients. The pay is 35-55 in the institutes and anywhere from 50-90 for private students. These prices are in pesos, which is a problem because inflation is so fast, it's hard to say if it will be enough to cover all of your living expenses at the end of the year (nonetheless at the beginning!). That said, BA is a fun place to live!! It has a lot of bad things about it but it depends how much you decide to pay attention. Try it for 6 months or 1 year and see if you like it enough to deal with all the pitfalls (and see how much worse it gets by then before you decide to commit)

Lucha54 ... The prospects are sort of grim...? assume 20 hours a week, to start, at $50 pesos say $1000 pesos....! or $4000 pesos a month.:eek:

Back