San Telmo....best barrio in BA!

Alzinho

Registered
OK, maybe not the best, but it just got a whole lot better for me personally.

Thanks to Miles for the pointer to the covered market. I wandered down there with my little lad today and bought some pretty good fresh vegetables and some nice looking chicken - looks corn-fed and I'm guessing almost certainly free-range. Darned expensive, all of it, but isn't everything these days!

Wasn't so impressed with the cheese stall (only national cheeses) but bought a small selection of ones I haven't tried before - to see if any of them actually taste of cheese.

And here's the real shocker - I know this is going to sound like fantasy, but I'm willing to go back and take photos if anyone requires proof - there were teams of workers out repairing pavements!!! ('Sidewalks' for our American friends.)

Aah....mi querido San Telmo, el mejor barrio de Buenos Aires! ;)

Al

Alzinho said:
Wasn't so impressed with the cheese stall (only national cheeses) but bought a small selection of ones I haven't tried before - to see if any of them actually taste of cheese.

Just tried a couple of them and they were actually quite good.
One that claimed to be Gouda, was nothing like it, but was a nice medium flavoured cheese nonetheless.
Another which was just called Queso Artisanal - and was a tasty, mild, creamy cheese.
:)

Maybe we can have a cheese and wine party soon :)... In San Telmo of course....

Haven't you tried Gruyere? I think it can be really nice, and I'd also suggest Pategras and Colonia, if you haven't.
As for San Telmo, I do agree it's a lovely neighbourhood with a charm of its own although it doesn't seem to suit everyone's taste here.

gatoverde said:
Haven't you tried Gruyere? I think it can be really nice, and I'd also suggest Pategras and Colonia, if you haven't.
As for San Telmo, I do agree it's a lovely neighbourhood with a charm of its own although it doesn't seem to suit everyone's taste here.
well we staggered round it ok in the early hours of tuesday morning:cool:

Oh, there's something else I forgot to put in the original post: there were on-foot police patrols every couple of blocks. I stopped one of them and asked if there was something special going on and he said no, they were regular patrols.

I don't know if this is something new, because I've never seen any in the evening/night time. Pretty pointless having them just during the day - it's at night that the place gets it's edgy feeling.

Alzinho said:
Oh, there's something else I forgot to put in the original post: there were on-foot police patrols every couple of blocks. I stopped one of them and asked if there was something special going on and he said no, they were regular patrols.

I don't know if this is something new, because I've never seen any in the evening/night time. Pretty pointless having them just during the day - it's at night that the place gets it's edgy feeling.

I can teach you to make yogurt then you don't ever have to leave San Telmo! ;)

I find the national blue cheeses & the brie to be not too bad at all.

The gruyere however is actually emmental.

Honestly, San Telmo in the daytime / early evening rocks.

Great variety of fruit and veggie places, bakeries, butchers, cafes. The people who work in them are friendly and remember you very quickly - as a whole I find it's a friendlier, more personable area than Palermo in many ways.

Sure there are lots of sketchy areas, particularly at night. It's a bit off the beaten track for many people's lifestyle but still central and interesting. I find it so bizarre that so many people are quick to write it off or call it disgusting. Who does that???? Obviously there are lots of people enjoying life there and choosing it as their neighbourhood. Is it not possible to say it's not your first choice while showing at least a modicum of respect ?

mini said:
I can teach you to make yogurt then you don't ever have to leave San Telmo! ;)

I find the national blue cheeses & the brie to be not too bad at all.

The gruyere however is actually emmental.

Is it really? The very few times I've tried Emmental in BA it tasted a tad stronger than your regular Argentine gruyere-I do love both though!:D

gatoverde said:
Is it really? The very few times I've tried Emmental in BA it tasted a tad stronger than your regular Argentine gruyere-I do love both though!:D

Yes. Swiss Gruyere doesn't have holes.

Back