San Telmo/monserrat - Mexico/venezuela Area

I forgot we now have Google earth here.
You can walk down any street in BA from the comfort of your own home.

https://maps.google.com/maps?output=classic&dg=brw

I think these were done last year but in winter.
But stil pretty recent.

Yea, my impression from Google earth is that, you know, it's not cute but it's not a place I'd feel uncomfortable.

Based on the feedback here my tendency right now is to pass the place up. Just frustrated because I had another place closer to defensa and independencia ready to go, that fell through at the last minute. So, now scrambling to find someplace else. Also wondering if given that I'm running out of patience and time to find a good place in San Telmo, should just I schuck that idea altogether and go for something in Belgrano or Barrio Norte? Decisions, decisions.

Based on the feedback here my tendency right now is to pass the place up. Just frustrated because I had another place closer to defensa and independencia ready to go, that fell through at the last minute. So, now scrambling to find someplace else. Also wondering if given that I'm running out of patience and time to find a good place in San Telmo, should just I schuck that idea altogether and go for something in Belgrano or Barrio Norte? Decisions, decisions.
well,if you want something cheaper,you can try for example,nuñez,colegiales maybe,villa crespo,caballito,flores,for example

I rented a room on Mexico between Chacabuco and Piedras for 3 months in 2011 and loved it. No bus traffic noise. Venezuela has noise from bus traffic which I like to avoid. There had been a vacant building up a few blocks near Bolivar with squatters, but I never had a problem coming home on the colectivo in the wee hours from the milongas. But that bock is pretty deserted late at night. I also stayed on the 600 block of Defensa for 3 months in 2009 and again In 2010 and never had any problems. Not trying to scare you but I did read that a woman was murdered in her home on Bolivar about a year ago and a man allegedly linked to the Chinese Mafia was murdered at Mexico and Combate de los Pozos about 6 months ago, but that is not close to San Telmo. I've had good luck with finding rentals on Craigslist.

Thanks so much for the Craigslist tip - and to everyone in general on the feedback. Like I said, I've worked in public safety in my home state; I understand murders and assaults happen and can happen anywhere. And of course I also know that if there are street corners monopolized by people selling sex or drugs - well, obviously you want to avoid those. Also having been raised on the east coast I DO feel safer in a city if there's people around at night -- figuring if people AREN'T around, there's a reason for that!

I do have another lead on a place smack in the middle of Recoleta and I'm wondering if maybe it might be wisest to take that place for a couple months while I get a feel for the city and its various areas.

Thanks so much for the Craigslist tip - and to everyone in general on the feedback. Like I said, I've worked in public safety in my home state; I understand murders and assaults happens and can happen anywhere. And of course I also know that if there are street corners monopolized by people selling sex or drugs - well, obviously you want to avoid those. Also having been raised on the east coast I DO feel safer in a city if there's people around at night -- figuring if people AREN'T around, there's a reason for that!

I do have another lead on a place smack in the middle of Recoleta and I'm wondering if maybe it might be wisest to take that place for a couple months while I get a feel for the city and its various areas.
As you say,crime can happen everywhere,i got mugged and beaten (partly my fault,i know) in the middle of belgrano,many years ago,so you know...
recoleta is lovely,and its good for a couple of months,to use as a base.
what kind of place are you looking for?something for centric?more residential and quiet?are you going to have a car?use taxis?public transport?

Good idea, live large for awhile or as long as you can afford it.

Back