San Telmo ? :)

Well - yet another thread I think I need to save in my 2011/Argentina folder on my laptop :) THANK you so much guys - I do need some ideas/feedback here - and you have not disappointed me :) Yes - I will possibly go for this (or another) apartment in ST - but it will be for 3 or 6 months to start off - and with my feet on the ground I can then start looking around and seeing what myself and my good lady are going to do long term :)

The job situation needs to be worked out - and all else...

I've got a few hours in a good university there - but apart from being a Professor of English/Applied Linguistics there is not a lot else I do - I have an extensive background in Sales/Marketing and in IT (non programming side) and in corporate training etc - I will need to "cut my cloth to suit my purse" - but FIRST I will need to KNOW what my 'purse' is - and that will come down to how I go getting the hours/regular income I need to pay for everything...

Yes - I will be bringing some money with me - but it won't be an unlimited supply - and I don't want to live beyond my means so that I chew up all of my savings...

I need something that is sustainable long term...

Thanks to all for your input - when I get down there in a few months (this time to stay permanently) I really hope I can get to connect with a few of you to 'pick your brains' and network in general - to see what else I can get involved in down there...

John.

San Telmo rocks! I'm a Tango dancer and I love the proximity to the Tradional Milongas, here's a link to a video shot entirely in San Telmo with photos of several great restaurants: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuCDwtziW0
Have lunch at Abuela Pan on Bolivia near Chile (open Monday throught Friday until around 5 PM) and you will be sold on San Telmo. Check at my Tango Blog to learn more about Tango life in San Telmo and Buenos Aires: www.LaMilongaDel126.blogspot.com

Johnno, good question. I lived in Once/Facultad de Medicina (not official neighborhood names, I know) for 3 years. I have now lived in San Telmo for almost a year. If I can say anything about any neighborhood, I would say that the street makes all the difference. I lived on a hideously ugly corner of Once for 1 year but loved my roommates. Then I moved 3 blocks - Just 3! - to Viamonte and Junin and felt like I was in a different world. I teach as well, and location-wise, these areas are amazing. You can walk anywhere you need to teach in 30 minutes, or take the 2 subway lines or 87 buses available. Then I moved to San Telmo. I love it. For many reasons. I love that right where I am, there is no big grocery store within comfortable walking distance so I buy groceries at the local markets. I love that within 5 minutes I can run to Puerto Madero and the Reserva. I love the old crumbling buildings and the cobblestone streets. I found the best medialunas at a favorite local café. Speaking of dirtiness, the streets change dramatically: walking down Balcarce is pleasing and 2 blocks up you have Bolivar and Peru which I would not want to live on, personally. All in all, I really enjoy the neighborhood and don't feel surrounded by tourists unless I make it a point to walk up and down Defensa. And, be aware that San Telmo changes dramatically once you cross San Juan heading towards Parque Lezama with very few tourists and an even more very local feel. Prices are still reasonable. It's an enjoyable area, but I will always miss being able to go home for lunch.

Back