Scam Phonecalls

CarverFan

Registered
For the last few weeks, ever other day or more, I'm getting calls for someone who doesn't live here. The caller always reads out my number to check it hasn't misrouted. They're asking for a guy, usually the same name each time but not always. One of the stories is that he's a painter.....There have been other calls too, asking if this is a salon de eventos and other things. Does this sound like someone's just using my phone number or could these calls be to try and gauge who lives here, what time of day they're in etc......??? Thanks!

Weird - calls to your house or cellphone? Sounds like maybe someone had your number before you?

I get marketing calls on my cellphone (and used to be home phone) all the time. Now, if I don't know the number, I don't pick up. Ever. Which I'm sure drives people crazy (esp since no one leaves voicemail messages here) but it makes my life a lot easier!

If it's a number for a service, you might try googling the number and seeing if anything comes up. I'm not sure how long they wait here before giving out the same telepohone number.

Is it always the same person calling or different people? If it's random people, it might just be a mistake.

It's the landline and I've had this number for over 5 years, no trouble till now apart from calls for the previous owners but that's very rare now.

We've had a series of strange calls over the last couple of weeks too. Very insistent pollsters, one from a guy saying he was from the police dept and someone was attacked who mentioned my wife's name as a contact....

I'm not sure what the scam is, but it is definitely creepy.

There are websites here where people can look up the telephone number for certain addresses, right down to the apartment number. So it could be possible that someone is probing around trying to find out when you are most likely not to be there.

One thing I will say is that I have never known the police to do anything over the phone, they always come in person.

va2ba, any example of such a website or the words to google so I can look it up and see the kind of thing? Thnx!

My god, it actually comes up with my name! Misspelled....how can I get it removed????? Anyone else not happy to be on there??? Thanks for the info!!

EdRooney said:
We've had a series of strange calls over the last couple of weeks too. Very insistent pollsters, one from a guy saying he was from the police dept and someone was attacked who mentioned my wife's name as a contact....

I'm not sure what the scam is, but it is definitely creepy.

From what I've been told, this is a classic Argentine phone scam. They're either trying to get you out of your apartment so that they can rob it or they give you a specific address where this "attacked" person is so that you can go rescue them and they can rob you there.

Back