Searching for places to live with kids in BA

Maryte

Registered
Hello you all! my husband, two daughters and myself are moving from Houston to BA in september and we are searching about nice places to live with kids. We have read nice reviews of Palermo and surrounding areas but I was wondering if it is a kids friendly place, what I have found it looks more like an adult area, any advice about this????

Thanks millions for your hekp!

Maryte

Hi Maryte! We are also going to BA (but only for a year) in August, and have two daughters! Others on the forum can give you lots of great information that I certainly can't (as I've never even visited), but I've been doing a good amount of research on housing, schools, etc. I've gotten some great responses from the very helpful BAExpats people to previous posts - you may want to search the forum for those.

My sense is that Palermo Chico/Botanico would be nicer for a family than other parts of Palermo. We'll be living in Belgrano (probably in/near Belgrano R), and it seems to be wonderful for families. Going north from Belgrano was also recommended - more houses, quieter, etc. Depends on how much you want "city life", where you/your husband will be working, and how much of a commute you want to take on.

Good luck!

I live on the cusp of: Monseratt, Constitucion and San Telmo. I don't recommend these barrios for kids. I lived in Houston most of my life. What part are you from?

Hi Martye -

We have been in BA for a month now. We moved from outside of Dallas. We live in Palermo on Juncal right near the botannical gardens. This is a perfect place for a family. There is a great park just around the block and the Line D subway is just a few blocks up on Santa Fe, which we take a lot. You can walk to the Zoo, Bosques de Palermo (our favorite place to take the kids), Alto Palermo Mall, and the Barbie Store (check it out online your daughters will love I'm sure!). How old are your daughters? We are planning on leaving in September...our place is quite nice...not sure if you would want some info on it but let me know and I can get you in touch with our landlord and send you some pics. We love the city and have found the people to be so friendly and kind. Good Luck! Hope this helps!

Belgrano seems to be a great place for families. Being new here and doing a recent search, we saw more kids and more schools in that barrio than any other.

The area of Belgrano we've come to like best in that next to Las Canitas.

Hi Maryte,
Depending on where your husband/oyu will be working (in the case you are) you may also consider "Zona Norte". This is the area adjacent to the north of Capital Federal but only 30 minutes away (depending on traffic) from the Microcentro. As a porteño i would suggest you check out these barrios: Vicente Lopez, Olivos, Martinez and San Isidro (all in the same area), this is the best place for families with kids, along with Belgrano (that's inside Capital Federal). The main difference between the barrios i mentioned and the ones inside Capital Federal ( Palermo, Belgrano, etc.) is that in Zona Norte there are more houses than apartments, and it is a little further away from downtown, but a lot quieter and suburban-like.

It definitely depends on where you will be working. My mother in law lives in Recoletta & everytime we visit her the chaos of being downtown drives me crazy. MY husband grew up in San Isidro & it is very nice. We have family & friends in Olivos, Tigre, Martinez...just depends on what kind of life style you want.

I agree with marcos.
We (wife and teen son) live in Olivos. We prefer the house living to apartment.
Distance wise, its comparable to Spring or Humble to downtown Houston. You will most likely need a vehicle though if you are out this far.

I was just thinking about replying to the first posts, mentioning that "there is life beyond palermo" :) when I read the last posts.

I am happy to hear some expats discovered Zona Norte.

I grew up in Martinez but lived my last 10 years in Boston. We are now back to San Isidro. DVicente Lopez/Olivos/Acasusso/San Isidro and even parts of Beccar are definetivly an option. I work down-town and take the train every morning (which is a pain in the neck) and bike my way back (1 hour).

Living in a house does demand to be a little bit more carefull than in an apartment, mostly related to security, but is really not a big issue. For us, it far outweights the stress of living in the city.

Back