Security Precautions in Buenos Aires

El chabon said:
Begin paranoid never leads to happiness.

Really if I would have to live like that I would just move to somewhere where that is not necessary(and offcourse it's not necessary here, only a paranoid person would feel that way)

As someone who has lived here quite nicely for almost 7 years you might take a moment to listen to what I say instead of labeling me paranoid. My radar is VERY atuned to life here and, given my military training, I have VERY good radar about these things. I feel VERY safe 99.9 percent of the time - check my previous posts. The only time I "call" my wife is if I sense something negative is up.

Why don't you offer some constructive suggestions of your own for the benefit of the rest of us instead of hijacking the conversation in a totally different direction?

Lol

IS this for real ? How does it feel going through life " con el culo en las manos " ?

GS_Dirtboy said:
Since this is obviously wanted information I think this would be a great place to create a list of specific precautions experienced Expats take while living or visiting Buenos Aires.

Here are a couple of mine:

1. Don't walk around looking like a tourist from Kansas.

2. I try to take a Remis whenever possible.

3. If I need to take a taxi from the airport or grab a taxi on the street I lock my doors, then I pretend to call my wife and tell her I'm on my way in taxi # _____ and then make it a point to say the driver's name loudly and clearly. I might even ask him directly the pronunciation. The point is that he knows someone else has his name and number.

4. Get a big dog for your house or apartment. Aside from being a great companion for the kids and life-long loyal friend dogs are one of the biggest deterents to home invasion and robberies. Our dog is multi-lingual - he speaks English, Spanish and Portuguese and attack commands are in German. :)

GS_Dirtboy said:
As someone who has lived here quite nicely for almost 7 years you might take a moment to listen to what I say instead of labeling me paranoid. My radar is VERY atuned to life here and, given my military training, I have VERY good radar about these things. I feel VERY safe 99.9 percent of the time - check my previous posts. The only time I "call" my wife is if I sense something negative is up.

Why don't you offer some constructive suggestions of your own for the benefit of the rest of us instead of hijacking the conversation in a totally different direction?

Wow, 7 years and military training, now that must make you a guide for personal security in BA, I am sorry because I was going to recomend this: Live your life and be happy.

And don't bring stuff on the street you cant afford to lose. 24 hr appartment security also works to stop robberies happening at your place.

El chabon said:
Somehow I doubt Argentines call there mommy or wife when they take a cab.

No sh*t. This thread wasn't for Porteños. Again, instead of being constructive you stoop to derail the thread and offer insults. It's amazing how people's true character shines through on the internet when they can hide behind a computer screen.

GS_Dirtboy said:
No sh*t. This thread wasn't for Porteños. Again, instead of being constructive you stoop to derail the thread and offer insults. It's amazing how people's true character shines through on the internet when they can hide behind a computer screen.

Where is the insult, really

I honestly thought he was joking about that one. I could understand an adolescent or a woman doing that but a grown man ?

El chabon said:
Somehow I doubt Argentines call there mommy or wife when they take a cab.

Gringoboy said:
When my brother visits me from the UK, he describes Quilmes as innocuous, which more or less sums it up.

haha, an englishman complaining about a Lager in a foreign country?:eek: this is sad; oh hhow I miss london!

Back