Seeking Advise

BankNote

Registered
Dear experienced BA expats,

I am in a dilemma.

Their is a particular machine which is required for my professional work ( urgently). It costs about 4000 us$, weighs about 4 kgs and is available only in US and Europe.

The dilemma is that whether i fly to US to get the machine ( air ticket costs) etc... or try to receive it here via DHL or fax.

Yes, I have heard all horror stories about the DHL and Fedex deliveries going horrible at retiro

I don't mind going to retiro and spending even 2 days.. Its easier than flying all the way to US ( in this cold weather)

My worry is what kind of duty they may levy on me and whether they will release or not release my machine.

If I should use my native passport or my DNI for receipt at retiro? where in lies the advantage.

How much could I end up paying or totally loose my machine/4000 us$.

Awaiting your advise as what could be my possible actions?

Thank you.

Mmmm, this machine would raise eyebrows in EZE Aduana? You'd have to pay U$S 1850 (at official rate) if they get you. Best case scenario, they see your passport without checking you have DNI, and you're free.

About mailing it over, I've had a 50/50 ratio with less valuable stuff. So don't ask me, as I'm biased to tell you... NF way!

Someone might be wiling to bring it to you for paying half their airfare. Maybe you could invite a friend or family member down for a visit and make this offer.

I'll go get it as long as it's legal! I'll come back in with my Canadian passport, I'm dying to visit
the developed world again, I don't care where, buy the plane ticket and I'll be a courier.

Check out this link and call and talk to these people they're customs brokers and they will tell you about how much they will clear your package for, they all have connections at customs and which ever ones quote you the best prices make an appointment to discuss the details. They ask you about the value of your item, weight etc and then tell you the price range.

The best ADVICE I can give would be to bring it in yourself in a suitcase, if that is possible.

Legally speaking, anything mailed costing over 500 U$S must be ordered and retrieved with a custom broker. If you mail it via USPS, or FEDEX, it may be retained at Retiro for months. Use a custom broker, please.

Back